• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mastering focus pulling

dear veteran cinematographers in here please suggest me some good training techniques for mastering focus pulling ,especially on moving subjects .Thanks :)

Well, big topic, but I'll start with something basic. You really need to be able to accurately estimate distance at a glance. That takes practice. Sight objects around your house and try to guess the distance, then measure it and see how far off you were, rinse and repeat.

It sounds silly, but if you are pulling focus based solely off the monitor, then you are reacting to the talent having already gone soft.

It's more of a foundation skill than one specifically for moving targets, but you've really got to be able to pull without the monitor for those.

Are we talking about Focus Pulling as a Focus Puller? Or as a Camera Operator who pulls their own focus while they operate (a la reality television and news).

Slightly different skillsets for both. Whilst learning to judge distances and many other things is necessary for a Focus Puller working to the side of the operator with a clearly visible lens barrel and witness marks, it doesn't help at all if you're operating and trying to pull focus whilst operating, using an EVF or monitor.

Also very true. Though when operating with both eyes open, or setting up with breathy lenses before talent is fully in it still comes into play. Again, a foundation skill for a complex task. The two are different to be sure, but I would be a lesser operator without what I learned as a First.

Back