Blade Runner

Just watched Blade Runner on DVD. It's really hard to believe that it failed at the box office. :huh:

I read comments on a website article that was discussing Prometheus, saying that both BR and Prom failed for the common reason - Lead character getting his ass kicked.

But I thought that wasn't a problem :no: because Deckard was against Replicants, and futuristic theories often cite that AI could one day prove to be stronger than humen beings. And I haven't watched Prom yet.

Another website opined that BR failed because it was released during the time when heap of Sci Fi adventures like John Carpenter's The Thing, and Spielberg's E.T was released, and it being slow paced (Blade Crawler) couldn't compete with E.T and faded off along with The Thing. But the movie's futuristic details, thematic complexity, novelty, and cool sequences kept me hooked into the story all the way through, and even though it was slow paced, I never felt it.

If I had watched this movie when it was released along with E.T, I would have definitely picked B.R as the best among the two.

Sir Ridley Scott is a legend :clap: And I'm awaiting Blade Runner - 2.

Last edited:
Blade Runner was also released in a very different edit that you probably saw, unless you watched the U.S. theatrical cut. Some movies are before their time. It failed at the box office, but did extremely well on VHS and cable TV.

I've seen every cut there is, including some really amazing fan edits. Blade Runner's greatest achievement is probably in production design and lighting, also eloquently shot and lit.

I don't understand how you can look at 2 movies and say one is "better" than another, like it was a sport. It's art. There is no clear point system or relative scale to put things on. That's like saying Picasso is "better" than DaVinci. Can't they just both be great artists with wonderful works of art?

Blade Runner was also released in a very different edit that you probably saw, unless you watched the U.S. theatrical cut. Some movies are before their time. It failed at the box office, but did extremely well on VHS and cable TV.

I've seen every cut there is, including some really amazing fan edits. Blade Runner's greatest achievement is probably in production design and lighting, also eloquently shot and lit.

I don't understand how you can look at 2 movies and say one is "better" than another, like it was a sport. It's art. There is no clear point system or relative scale to put things on. That's like saying Picasso is "better" than DaVinci. Can't they just both be great artists with wonderful works of art?

Ah but the thing is, man is judgemental by nature. We are wired to be judgemental wether we know it or not. Its part of our survival instinct, so we judge everything we see, hear and touch. Thats the way things are and its something we can never control. For example in BR all the players think the replicants are evil and as an audience we are judging them in the being as such. But by the end we judge them differently as we learn motives. Again its our nature to judge.....

Last edited:
Sonnyboo, it's nice to see you visit the boards again, and I fully agree with your post.

Blade Runner isn't the only movie to find life after the box office. And in my opinion, there are others that still haven't found much appreciation, but are very much worth it. Box office is a pretty weak indicator of a movie's overall quality.

I read comments on a website article that was discussing Prometheus, saying that both BR and Prom failed for the common reason - Lead character getting his ass kicked.

PROMETHEUS had some sloppy writing, but I wouldn't say it failed. Theatrically, it grossed 300 million worldwide and has yet to release on video.

Ridley Scott has been hired to direct a sequel to Blade Runner by the current copyright holders. It's on hold for 2-3 year minimum as he finished out a bunch of projects he already had slated. Now that his brother has passed, it may even be a bit longer.

Harrison Ford's involvement has not been confirmed in any way.

Box office is a pretty weak indicator of a movie's overall quality.

Yup! Box office, especially opening weekend and the first few weeks are an excellent indicator at how well the marketing team did, and not much else haha. Though, if a movie hits numer one AND stays there for a month or more then you can bet it's a pretty good film too.

Now that his brother has passed, it may even be a bit longer.

Oh! Poor Tony... I have watched some of his movies. Top Gun, Enemy of the State, Pelham 123, Unstoppable. Though they aren't as classic as some of his brother's movies, they are very good adrenaline pump machines.

RIP Tony Scott.

Back