Why ratings systems don't work

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this - I did just sign up - but I wanted to see what you guys thought about ratings systems. I wrote about them yesterday after seeing XKCD - I don't think the 5-star system works for anonymous reviews. Maybe you think anonymous reviews are no good, but I think they can be, if they're presented right.

Here's the post I made, if you're interested: http://goodfil.ms/blog/posts/2012/08...ems-dont-work/

I've actually built a review site around this concept called Goodfilms. We don't have heaps of hardcore film buffs on there, but it's working pretty well. I'd love to hear what you think about it - particularly those of you who make films. Do you think a more flexible ratings system might change the kinds of films people discover?

reviews are pointless anyway. reading a review for a film is like shaking up a magic 8 ball and asking if the film is good.

(I made a short sketch that demonstrated this.)

Not really. 8 balls cannot watch movies. Critics can have some judgment and it's all a matter of finding some you feel have good taste. I read critic reviews for opinion insight. Even if I don't agree with them, I still enjoy what they have to say. Critics are able to give far more insight into a movie than some of my friends are in average conversation.

Not really. 8 balls cannot watch movies. Critics can have some judgment and it's all a matter of finding some you feel have good taste. I read critic reviews for opinion insight. Even if I don't agree with them, I still enjoy what they have to say. Critics are able to give far more insight into a movie than some of my friends are in average conversation.

I've never read a review that gave insight into a movie.

I basically stopped caring about ratings systems years ago, and when it comes to movies for the most part I ignore reviews too.

I either I enjoy a movie or I don't, and there's plenty of highly rated and critically acclaimed movies I just don't like. (Plenty that I do like though, just in case anyone tries to accuse me of being a hipster.)

Back