• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music royalties

I am trying to put together a budget for my screenplay, and was wondering if anyone knew how i would go about pricing music royalties. Is there a website that might list this information - like, say, on specific songs or whatnot?
Thanks in advance,
Justice

Very Good Question

I would also like to know about such a website. Unfortunately, all I can tell ya is to try to find a lawyer who'll look into it for next to nothing. It's a long shot, but that route has worked for friends of mine.

Poke

Hey Justiceinnyc,

Poke and I have already talked. But, before you assume that good things are never free, I hope you will review my website at www.digitalsoundtracks.com

I'm a seasoned music professional and can compose and record original music in any genre for any length film. If it's a film festival type project (not a commercial venture) and if it interests me, I'll do it for free - just for the exposure and the credits. If you plan to market the film commercially, I would do it on a deferred basis contract. (You make money, I make money - you don't, I don't...)

I specialize in orchestrated music, but can do pretty much any style. Read about my background and experience, my past projects, and my current projects at the website and also hear samples of my work.

Regards,

Hutch DeLoach

Sorry.

Sorry about that Hutch. I should have recommended you. I guess I was just thinking that Justiceinnyc was looking to price certain songs. Like say, the script calls for The Beatles "All You Need is Love". I thought J might be trying to see how to find out the price for using that song (which of course would be astronomical).

Poke

No offense taken Poke... I understood exactly where you were coming from... After all, if you had recommend me, then I would have wound up owing you some agent fees - right? :D

Have a great day!

Hutch

Are you talking about popular songs? Why pay? Seems to me doing indie films is all about having the creativity to come up with your own songs or find someone who writes or has written the song you need. For most indie films it should be ROYALTY FREE. Even places like Master Source understand that traditionally indie films are looking to pay 1 flat fee for an unknown song.

Blade_Jones said:
Are you talking about popular songs? Why pay? Seems to me doing indie films is all about having the creativity to come up with your own songs
Because sometimes the song fits the scene perfectly or even inspired it.

Justiceinnyc said:
I am trying to put together a budget for my screenplay, and was wondering if anyone knew how i would go about pricing music royalties. Is there a website that might list this information - like, say, on specific songs or whatnot?
Thanks in advance,
Justice
The rights must be obtained from the copyright owner of the music, which is usually the publisher. You can find out who the publisher is by using ASCAP's Clearance Express (ACE) at http://www.ascap.com. Songs that are not represented by ASCAP might be found at the National Music Publishers' Association "Songfile" website http://www.nmpa.org. You will be provided with a contact at the publisher's Business Affairs or Licensing Department.

Since there are many different licenses : Synchronization, Master Use, Festival, Mechanical, Print and Performing, and so many different ownership contracts there isn't going to be a data base where you can type in the name of the song and get a number. You are going to have to make a phone call.

Be prepared. Know exactly what license you need, exactly how the music will be used and how long you need the rights before you call.

Back