Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

"it wasnt bad but i didnt like it" do you have a point or are you going to be hypocritical and on the fence your whole life. people like you... Look dorks there was little to no cgi. That should have surprised your expectations in the first place. good nuff for these days. Impressive actually

these convos seem to end with me. Acknowledge my good points at least. What is truth without an acknowledgment?

Back in the real world, everyone I know enjoyed the movie. This ranges from teenage girls (I have a teen daughter) to 'normal' people to guys like me who saw the original in a cinema.

Sure, it didn't have the same impact as the original but my memory of the first one was 'wow, I've never seen anything like this before, this is the most incredible movie I've ever seen!!!!!' But that was the 70s when home consisted of a black and white TV the size of a computer screen with only three channels, parafin oil to heat the flat during the strikes and literally no technology. No home computers, mobile phones, Satnav / GPS, nothing and if we wanted music, we had a record player or if we wanted to write, there was a clunky old typewriter in a corner which dated back to the 50s.

But we didn't care as we had 'Star Wars.' It was like nothing else we'd ever seen and just the concept of a light sabre was mind blowing. It was incredible and a gigantic step up from anything else we'd ever seen.

So this was never going to be as good as the original but I thought it was a good movie.

:yes: Wow, yes, way to put things in perspective. Man, we've come a long way, baby. That's so right on. To be reminded of how old geezers like us only had those little black and white TVs the size of a small computer screen with only three (four over here) channels... :yes: Wow

:lol:

Heeheee getting a color TV was an awesome step forward back then. But movies like Star Wars were on the "big" screen, only nowadays we know those big screens were actually quite small…

I also agree that if their intention is to build up to (another) face-off between Kylo and Rey, well won't that be anti-climatic since we've already been shown she can beat him —and that's even without having been trained in the slightest. And also a tired repeat of the first trilogy. So hopefully they have something more better in mind.

Last edited:

If they weren't going to include the Knights in the film, they should have left that line out and just said Kylo Ren. I think a more accurate reason is that the Knights of Ren fell on the cutting room floor.

I disagree.
In the original cut of A New Hope Jabba is mentioned, but never shown.
Following your logic would mean Jabba shouldn't have been named at all, while it is part of foreshadowing (and giving context to Han's actions and motivations... that is the difference with VII: it doesn't seem to create much extra context, only some foreshadowing.)

BTW, I watched it with my dad (in Imax 3D) and we both thought is was great fun!
I am not blind and see the very obvious parallels with A New Hope and the 'hero's journey'. And I did see a few things coming, it wasn't mindblowingly original but it was still movie magic :P

Sometimes it feels like some people just like to moan about blockbusters, judging them on all the flaws they were desperately looking for. If we all could just be this critical to our own work, wouldn't we all just create masterpieces?

Aspiring Mogul just likes to see 'the competion' 'fail' to reinforce the faith is his own dreams, but doesn't seem to realise that if Star Wars had bombed at the boxoffice, his dream probably wouldn't find funding in the next 10 years or so, because everyone would hastingly abandon the genre, except for maybe Star Trek. :P
Sometimes we just see what we want to see. Life is a mirror in that aspect.

At the same time: everybody can have his/her own opinion and taste. Perfectly fine for me :)

it wasn't mindblowingly original but it was still movie magic :P

Sometimes it feels like some people just like to moan about blockbusters, judging them on all the flaws they were desperately looking for. If we all could just be this critical to our own work, wouldn't we all just create masterpieces?

No truer words have been spoken; not just for this movie, but many of them. Whenever people (there are many) post something like, "all indies are crap" and "They don't make good movies, anymore," I wonder how do these people look themselves in a mirror, because they probably couldn't muster 1/10th as much, if they had done it themselves.

Aspiring Mogul just likes to see 'the competion' 'fail' to reinforce the faith is his own dreams, but doesn't seem to realise that if Star Wars had bombed at the boxoffice, his dream probably wouldn't find funding in the next 10 years or so, because everyone would hastingly abandon the genre, except for maybe Star Trek. :P

Not to point fingers at anybody, but this overall statement is true. I was just getting into filmmaking, when STAR WARS came out in 1977. Until then, Hollywood frowned on sci-fi as feature entertainment. Seriously, think about it!!!! The execs at 20th Century Fox doubted that STAR WARS could perform up to the bar that 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY had set. SILENT RUNNING and LOGAN'S RUN were height of the competition.

With STAR WARS a huge success, studios and production companies were in a huge rush to put out sci-fi, including such fare as LASER BLAST and STAR CRASH. The floodgates opened.... A huge audience was awakened that wanted to see horror, sci-fi and fantasy. MAD MAX, DAWN OF THE DEAD, PHANTASM, HALLOWEEN, FRIDAY THE 13th, ALIEN, SUPERMAN etc. all became huge hits, even though many had a very small budget.

Bottom line? STAR WARS success is good for everybody else.

Not to point fingers at anybody, but this overall statement is true. I was just getting into filmmaking, when STAR WARS came out in 1977. Until then, Hollywood frowned on sci-fi as feature entertainment. Seriously, think about it!!!! The execs at 20th Century Fox doubted that STAR WARS could perform up to the bar that 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY had set. SILENT RUNNING and LOGAN'S RUN were height of the competition.

With STAR WARS a huge success, studios and production companies were in a huge rush to put out sci-fi, including such fare as LASER BLAST and STAR CRASH. The floodgates opened.... A huge audience was awakened that wanted to see horror, sci-fi and fantasy. MAD MAX, DAWN OF THE DEAD, PHANTASM, HALLOWEEN, FRIDAY THE 13th, ALIEN, SUPERMAN etc. all became huge hits, even though many had a very small budget.

Bottom line? STAR WARS success is good for everybody else.

I don't want to point fingers at anyone either - thanks, Scoopicman - but I have no desire to see either Star Wars or Star Trek fail. Both have been my inspiration, and I know that the global economy is big enough for many more franchises. I am, in fact, encouraged by how Star Trek refused to die in the 1970's, and how Firefly continues to keep a loyal fan base.

:yes: Wow, yes, way to put things in perspective. Man, we've come a long way, baby. That's so right on. To be reminded of how old geezers like us only had those little black and white TVs the size of a small computer screen with only three (four over here) channels... :yes: Wow

:lol:

Heeheee getting a color TV was an awesome step forward back then. But movies like Star Wars were on the "big" screen, only nowadays we know those big screens were actually quite small…

Not old, matured by the sands of time like the finest wine.

And I'm crazy to start filming at my age. I shot (and have been paid for) 3 music vids in December. One of the girls I was shooting was literally half my age...

And I can remember getting a colour TV. It was gigantic (small by today's standards) and watching snooker was amazing. The colours!

Last edited:
It was a movie that was written for people to enjoy and produced for people to enjoy and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Kudos to all of those who worked hard to create Force Awakens!

Back