For the Audio Guys, field received recorder vs camera

Hey, I have an audio question. I think I know the answer, but hoped one of the audio guys would chime in.

I've been looking at the Wooden Camera A Box Pocket (for my BMPCC)

http://woodencamera.com/A-Box-Pocket.html

Basically adds 2 XLR inputs, that plugs into the mic input of my camera.

My question is....

If all other factors are the same meaning same microphone(s), same preamp being used. Would the audio recorded into the camera be of equal quality as it would be if it were recorded into a field recorder, like an H6?

I've looked up the specs on my camera, and can't find any information about how it records the audio. And I know the specs on something like the H6 is 24bit/96kHz.

When I said I think I know the answer, I think it would be no, the audio being recorded in camera wouldn't be the same quality as if recorded to a field recorder, but I have no technical knowledge as to why I think that's the answer, but wanted to ask the audio guys.

In case it applies, I'm just researching for future shorts. If the day ever comes where I get the chance to film something of feature length or for planned festival submissions, I'm planning on letting someone with more experience and knowledge handle the audio.

To the OP.

The lower your budget, the more important capturing clean audio becomes. That's not to say capturing clean audio isn't important at the high budget level, they can simply afford more options in post production.

As APE/Alcove mentioned, you'd be better off with an external recorder. I completely agree with this. If audio is (or will be) important for your production(s), an external recorder may give you extra options to capture cleaner audio, especially when being tethered to the camera will be a hindrance (for example, wide shots and/or during camera moves).

You are correct. You will need to sync your audio in post. If you're doing this often, I'd suggest a program called PluralEyes and ensure you capture as clean as possible guide track on the camera.

There is no best one option that suits everyone and in every situation. There may be times where you're a one man band, where having that box or DR-60D (or similar) attached to your camera cabled to a C-Stand is your best option. Other times where you need more crew/mobility for a more elaborate shot/shoot.

That being said, the option of that box will have less work-arounds than having an external recorder. On top of that, assuming those who operate the equipment have a clue, your audio is likely to sound better, even if that's only just slightly.

Good luck in your choice.

I agree. Admittedly, I thought initially that the BMPCC was something different, and the cost was justified.

However, the answers posed by the others has me convinced the BMPCC was not the answer. I just don't like certain people's approach here in this thread, so I wanted time to pass before I left this reply.

jrusso, why don't you like your BMPCC? It is in my view the best camera made by BMD for general filmmaking (until the URSA Mini 4.6K starts shipping).

Edit: on second thoughts.... I think you're referring not to the BMPCC at all, but Wooden Box's product and then your comment makes sense.

Last edited:
jrusso, why don't you like your BMPCC? It is in my view the best camera made by BMD for general filmmaking (until the URSA Mini 4.6K starts shipping).

Edit: on second thoughts.... I think you're referring not to the BMPCC at all, but Wooden Box's product and then your comment makes sense.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I don't have one. I just had initially spoken about it a while ago and was in support of it, however, I've changed my mind as well after reading the comments. Mainly because at the time I hadn't even read in detail what the Wooden Box was, but mainly was referring to the benefits of keeping the audio "in camera" for the budget of the project.

However, I rarely suggest keeping the sound in camera, but the OP had mentioned that the audio captured on the BMPCC is actually 24 bit audio. As long as the OP mounts the mic on a boom pole, then there shouldn't be an issue using the camera audio. But once again, being that there are better, external options, than using the Wooden Box, I'm inclined to agree with the other opinions here.

Last edited:
Back