Filming Nudity & Sex Scenes on Private Property.

I'm slated to direct my next film, which is in preproduction with about a month to go before the first day of shooting. The cast selection is almost complete and I'm quite pleased with the screenplay I wrote.

We've been finding private homeowners who are willing to rent out their homes (usually where they actually live) to us for the duration of our shoot at a relatively low cost to accommodate my microbudget production. As we find and schedule visits to these potential locations, though, I keep wondering about how much to tell them about the script, which features a number of scenes, to be shot at those locations, that contain full nudity and simulated sex. These sequences are similar to what an R rated drama or a show on a premium cable channel in primetime could have.

My producing partner and I agree that the homeowners should be aware, ahead of shooting, that some such scenes will be shot on their property. But how detailed should we be?

Perhaps this first option is enough: Just tell them in an email message, before we visit their property (or immediately afterward): "Some scenes to be shot on your property will contain nudity and simulated sex. I just wanted to make sure you are okay with that would not object to it." Then also include language to that effect in the location agreement to be signed by both parties.

Or should I use my second option, which is to share the entire screenplay with them? I generally tend to be leery of sharing the entire screenplay with anyone who doesn't absolutely need to see it to do their job, but perhaps I should do so in this case?

After considering the second option for a while, I'm now leaning toward the first option. What do you think?

Or, is there a third option you think may be better?

This seems to be a piece of string question.

While not relevant, there's a lesson I was taught in sales. Once the customer says that s/he'll buy, STFU and do the paperwork. Kind of seems appropriate here. Do what you think you must so it doesn't end badly for you, but be careful not to talk yourself out of a venue.

Perhaps consulting with a locations scout may help answer your questions.

This seems to be a piece of string question.

While not relevant, there's a lesson I was taught in sales. Once the customer says that s/he'll buy, STFU and do the paperwork. Kind of seems appropriate here. Do what you think you must so it doesn't end badly for you, but be careful not to talk yourself out of a venue.

Perhaps consulting with a locations scout may help answer your questions.

I definitely understand your point about talking so much as to risk losing what you're pursuing. But we're concerned that if we're not up front about this, the owners--in whose living quarters we would shoot--may do something to disrupt the shoot in some way. Either demand we stop shooting the way we need to or tell us to leave despite having a signed location agreement.*

Even if the owners would be in the wrong contractually they would impose major distractions and hindrances on the production, including monetary costs that would not be recovered. We figure telling them in advance would be a way to avoid any potential claims that they had no idea what we were shooting.

Are there any location scouts or other filmmakers*on this board*who have had this type of circumstance and who have something to add?

I am guessing you are using the owners furniture to have the simulated sex on, or did you bring your own? The reason I ask is because, this could be a huge factor, in the owner's decision. If you offer to bring your own, it will sound better to them obviously, but not sure it would be enough.

Last edited:
My producing partner and I agree that the homeowners should be aware, ahead of shooting, that some such scenes will be shot on their property. But how detailed should we be?
No need to show them the entire script. But it's very important to let
them know everything that will be happening on their property. If
they ask you can show them the pages pertaining to their property.

I am both a property owner who rents to shoots and a filmmaker
who has shot my share of nude/sex scenes.

I am guessing you are using the owners furniture to have the simulated sex on, or did you bring your own? The reason I ask is because, this could be a huge factor, in the owner's decision. If you offer to bring your own, it will sound better to them obviously, but not sure it would be enough.

Yes, we'd be using whatever furniture the owners have on their premises. I suppose we could use our own bedsheets or certain other coverings. One scene is supposed to take place on the grass :) but that could change.

Last edited:
No need to show them the entire script. But it's very important to let
them know everything that will be happening on their property. If
they ask you can show them the pages pertaining to their property.

I am both a property owner who rents to shoots and a filmmaker
who has shot my share of nude/sex scenes.

Thanks for the advice, Rik. Looks like I'll go with my first option.

I would probably contextualise it - either in the email or by showing the surrounding script pages.

I don't know how professional you have come across, or how you nabbed these residences, but I'd be wary about what I got myself into if all I got was an email essentially saying 'by the way, we'll be shooting people having sex in your house' - perhaps depending on the compensation I was receiving for allowing my house to be used.

My feeling would be to have raised it with the owner in the initial location scout (our film's about this and this - there may be some nudity involved) in the same way that you're up front with the actors when they audition rather than springing nudity on them once they're all locked in.

Are the owners going to be present while you are shooting? I've found in the rare instance that happens, the fact that they are present is enough to be a distraction and hindrance. I was once on a set where we had organised the use of an old lady's house to shoot in. On the day we arrived to shoot, she had forgotten we were going to be there - we had to wait until her son turned up (who we had also been dealing with), who was late, and then throughout the day she kept questioning people about what was going on and making comments about her electricity bill (look at this big lights etc.)

We were able to continue shooting and get done what we needed to get done, but it was certainly a hindrance, and it made it difficult at times when our electrics team would set up lights and then have to linger for a few minutes to explain that 'these lights actually don't use very much power at all, and they won't be on all day' etc.

I would probably contextualise it - either in the email or by showing the surrounding script pages.

I don't know how professional you have come across, or how you nabbed these residences, but I'd be wary about what I got myself into if all I got was an email essentially saying 'by the way, we'll be shooting people having sex in your house' - perhaps depending on the compensation I was receiving for allowing my house to be used.

My feeling would be to have raised it with the owner in the initial location scout (our film's about this and this - there may be some nudity involved) in the same way that you're up front with the actors when they audition rather than springing nudity on them once they're all locked in.

Are the owners going to be present while you are shooting? I've found in the rare instance that happens, the fact that they are present is enough to be a distraction and hindrance. I was once on a set where we had organised the use of an old lady's house to shoot in. On the day we arrived to shoot, she had forgotten we were going to be there - we had to wait until her son turned up (who we had also been dealing with), who was late, and then throughout the day she kept questioning people about what was going on and making comments about her electricity bill (look at this big lights etc.)

We were able to continue shooting and get done what we needed to get done, but it was certainly a hindrance, and it made it difficult at times when our electrics team would set up lights and then have to linger for a few minutes to explain that 'these lights actually don't use very much power at all, and they won't be on all day' etc.

I found most of these locations through Airbnb.

What I've been doing is this. After I speak with the owner on the phone and make sure the available dates and rates are okay, I send them an email message that lists links to my IMDb page, past films I produced, references, etc. to first establish that I'm an actual filmmaker. Then I take about how the film could be an "issue" film. And I include a brief summary of the story. Then I go on to say that basically, since it is love story, nudity & simulated sex will occur.

I'm not sure how many people saw that in the email message. I'm planning to mention it again when I visit them and make sure they're okay with it.

A couple of the places seem as if the owner/family will not be on the premises while shooting. I agree that that's ideal.

Thanks for your response, jax.

Back