Laptop for editing - Help needed

Hello guys.

What do you think about this for a laptop with the principal purpose of editing (premiere and AE).

17.3"
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M265X 4GB Dedicated
2TB
Price: 1698 USD

or this one

15.6"
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5 GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
GTX 860M 4GB DDR5
256 GB SSD
Price: 2150 USD

Since i dont have much understanding about computers, i would like to know if each one of those are good for editing and if the second it's much better than the first?

Thanks a lot!

Jesus Christ!
You wrote all that, and I got absolutely nothing out of it, other than you must be an expert filmmaker, and I must be a 5 year old who doesn't know what FedEX is. You must be a real filmmaker. Cause I sure as hell don't speak your language.

If you want to make yourself feel better and be a sarcastic prick about it, go ahead.

I've gone through what you've gone through so I believe I understand where you're at. I chose the path to learn color grading. I now understand you want to go through the lessons on your own.

Good luck.

Yeah, well I do admit the FedEx thing could be seen as coming across as condescending. Attempting to be cute doesn't always come off well in writing. No offense intended.

As for the rest, unless taken out of context, no.

Thanks a lot for all of your help guys.

I haven't buy anything yet but i might follow your advices and buy a desktop, since i'll not travel much in the coming times and i can work from home when needed. I think i'll buy a laptop later.

I see that Sweetie has hit the marks pretty well already... but I'll answer as well I guess.

For most color correction issues, why is this a bad thing? I'm not trying to argue with you on a process basis, or the professionalism of using Resolve? I'm asking more of a utilitarian/financial/time producer question.

Well for most color correction issues you have more problems than just hitting that "Cinema" style coloring. You have hotspots, off balances, and overall you can't afford to do great lighting that would really get that "flat" look colorists enjoy to work with. Another big issue, Magic Bullet's styles are the equivalent of Instagram filters for photographers.

Do you think your dad would be able to tell the difference between magic bullet vs resolve corrected shot?

We recently went over this question in my Editing and Visual Effects class. There is a line in the film industry. We are on one side of that line and the general movie-goer audience is on the other side of the line. When we watch movies we will notice things like the vanishing window in The Blind Side and say "Hey, they had a 4x4 flag over the window so they could see Sandra's face clearly, strange solution." while on the other side of the line the audience simply doesn't like that scene. They won't seek out justification, because they don't know what happened behind the camera.

We can go to the movies and decide we didn't like it because the coloring was off, they simply will say they didn't like it. You'll never know if they didn't like your movie because of the story, acting, lighting, etc...

So would my dad notice a difference? Nope. He simply will be impacted by an unknown element of the film.

Wouldn't it be strange to expect the producer of a low/no budget film to care about color so much? If we're going to be honest, the low/no budget producer just made a low/no budget movie. The inherent implication is that his/her "caring" is constrained by the limitations that a low/no budget production imposes on lighting/sound/acting/props/location/post.

I do believe Sweetie covered this nicely. And I do believe this forum has a slanted look on filmmaking. I would accredit that look to the very professional sound peeps on this forum. They have drilled into the heads of the users here that sound is half the battle. To an extent they are very much right, I wouldn't even give a bad sounding film a chance, but I also wouldn't give much of a chance to a film that doesn't have color grading or simply has slapped a Magic Bullet over it. Audio and Visuals are not the only parts of filmmaking.

It would be unreasonable for me to spend less resources on lighting and more on color, wouldn't you agree?

If you consider lighting, consider it as part of Color. And if you can REALLY afford lighting, you can afford a "building demo" or low rate Colorist.

I'm fighting with myself right now between magic bullet/speedgrade/resolve. If my timeline for finishing my film keeps getting pushed back, I might give up on the speedgrade/resolve part of the plan, and just go with magic bullet. My time is so limited.

Not to sound rude, but do you not value your time? If you're going to spend a huge amount of time on your production, put in the extra hours to get all of it to the same production value as the other aspects of it.

And I spent the last month trying to teach myself audio post. It's taking all of my time. And I'm never going to be perfect at it. I have to get back to real editing soon. It's highly tempting for me at this moment to just go with magic bullet.

Spend another month learning some basics of Speedgrade or get someone else to do your color correction and grading.

This is very tempting indeed, but how would this work online exactly? I've got 3.5TB worth of files.

1) You're doing high res Avid files? I'm firstly wondering why you're on Avid. Yes it's a high industry standard editing software, but without the actual Avid machines, the program is a lackluster battle. Working on an actual Avid machine? Holy shit. You can afford a colorist.

Lol... and yea you're way beyond having files transferred through a server... a shipped harddrive would be the most efficient route, as already said.

I'm sure you guys are both experts, although I personally have no evidence for it.

I'm pretty sure I can tell bad sound from good, bad lighting from good, but I'm also sure that I can't tell bad color from good. I was under the impression that color, within reason, was subjective.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's really about a ball of string. I thought I asked a yes/no question. Turns out, I'm an idiot who doesn't value his time. I should spend another month learning speedgrade. I'm thinking I should just go tell Red Giant to close up shop. Also, I'm a prick.

I'm sure you guys are both experts, although I personally have no evidence for it.

I'm pretty sure I can tell bad sound from good, bad lighting from good, but I'm also sure that I can't tell bad color from good. I was under the impression that color, within reason, was subjective.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's really about a ball of string. I thought I asked a yes/no question. Turns out, I'm an idiot who doesn't value his time. I should spend another month learning speedgrade. I'm thinking I should just go tell Red Giant to close up shop. Also, I'm a prick.

Color Correction isn't very subjective... the grading you chose however can be... but it needs to be something that fits the film and it needs have a good consistency throughout the shots.

Also, calm down, we aren't attacking you. You asked a lot more than one question first off... and even if it was a yes or no, it's a yes or no answer for a reason and a reason that you should take into consideration. Just as you would if we were talking about sound.

I said take the month to learn Speedgrade or get a colorist, that's on you to decide... Speedgrade you can get the basics down much faster than if you try to approach Resolve.

As for the comment about Red Giant... Magic Bullet is cool and if you're making some YouTube videos as like weekly skits or something that you're not putting too much effort into, fine. Slap a look onto it. Who cares? You're a bulk content creator.

However, if you're trying to make a festival attending short, a feature film, or you are passionate about making your piece look professional as possible then take color much more seriously than using MB.

A film that isn't color corrected looks incredibly amateur!
Yes a dad will be able to tell the difference, one will look like a home movie.

I'd say this 95% of the time. You need to perfect the contrast and create dynamic images.

I was under the impression that color, within reason, was subjective.

It's really your film. What's best about it? You get to make your own decisions.

I'm going to go another route than Copeland on this one. I'll come from the perspective where is is subjective. To Chris Nolan most directors are rudimentary at best and it comes from his own subjectivity. Jack Nicholsons performance will be better than most Joe Schmoe. John Williams versus your local composer and the list continues.

We're in both a creative and technical industry. As time goes on, we all learn. You may have a great eye for grading or you may not. It's likely you're somewhere in between. I'm sure if money wasn't the issue, you'd hire a colorist in a heartbeat.

I understand the plight of the independent film maker, especially one who doesn't have financing behind him/her. Money is tight. It's always an uphill struggle trying to balance between what you want with what you absolutely need and what you can afford. Do you absolutely need it? It's the same as if you need really good actors/sound/dop/mua/ad etc.. No, you don't. Your end result will likely be better if you do.

Copeland (I believe) made you a good offer. If he is still interested and if you value your time (and sanity) spend a few bucks on return freight and ask for his help to grade your film.

It's still your decision to make.

I watched a documentary tonight called :Confessions of a Superhero: and some of the people in it had been in "independent" movies as they called it.

They showed a clip of one and it was totally washed out, no contract between the blacks and the whites. I instantly judged it was a crappy movie from a single frame, because it hadn't been color corrected.

As I said in another post to someone looking for an editing laptop, WAIT until April/MayJune of this year for the release of Windows 10 and Intel i7 Octacore processors withe new memory chips that access more memory than what is in the market right now.

If it is not a dire emergency, WAIT. You'll be throwing your money away.

As I said in another post to someone looking for an editing laptop, WAIT until April/MayJune of this year for the release of Windows 10 and Intel i7 Octacore processors withe new memory chips that access more memory than what is in the market right now.

If it is not a dire emergency, WAIT. You'll be throwing your money away.

Well, one can always wait, because there will always be something new coming soon...
Although this sounds good.

I do believe this forum has a slanted look on filmmaking. I would accredit that look to the very professional sound peeps on this forum. They have drilled into the heads of the users here that sound is half the battle. To an extent they are very much right, I wouldn't even give a bad sounding film a chance, but I also wouldn't give much of a chance to a film that doesn't have color grading or simply has slapped a Magic Bullet over it. Audio and Visuals are not the only parts of filmmaking.

I can't agree with much of this statement! Firstly, unless you are distributing your film with scratch and sniff cards, then audio and visuals are the only parts of filmmaking! Certainly both the audio and visuals have many sub-parts which require many different contributing skills and crafts but ultimately everything in filmmaking is audio, visual or both. Secondly, I agree this forum does tend to have a slanted look on filmmaking. However, the slant is towards the visuals, not sound! In the overwhelming majority of film courses, sound is taught incredibly poorly and generally as a sort of unfortunate/annoying technical exercise students have to do by necessity to get to the more interesting and creative aspects of filmmaking. So granted, compared to this antiquated view/approach to filmmaking there is more of a slant here towards sound. Compared to modern filmmaking though, the preponderance of slant is still very much towards the visuals! If we look at budgeted Hollywood type films, we find that they employ someone who works very closely with the director and is specifically responsible for designing, shaping and crafting both the look of each individual scene and the overall "look" of the film. As pretty much everyone here will be aware, this person is called the DOP. There are several other contributing crafts of course; lighting, set design, make-up, costumes, grading, etc., but the DOP is the person with the overarching responsibility for bringing this all together and significantly affects how the film is made, to achieve the desired "look". No/Lo budget filmmakers try to follow this budgeted/Hollywood filmmaking model by employing a DOP or fulfilling the role themselves. Granted, they often only succeed to a limited extent but at least they generally try to fulfil the role as well as their knowledge and resources allow. However, looking at that same budgeted/Hollywood type model, we find that they also employ someone who takes exactly the same overall responsibility for the audio as the DOP does for the images; the designing, shaping and crafting of each individual scene and the overall "sound" of the film and who significantly affects how the film is made to achieve that "sound", the Sound Designer. For whatever reason though, unlike with the DOP role, most no/lo budget filmmakers don't even know what sound design actually is, let alone employ a sound designer or attempt to fulfil the role themselves. Generally in lo/no budget filmmaking, sound design is just ignored completely, IE. There is usually no attempt to create an overall "sound" for the film. The odd sound design element might be thrown in by a few no/lo budget filmmaker as an afterthought, when the film is otherwise already completed but that isn't "sound design".

Just look at all the posts on IT, how many are related to the techniques and tools employed to create an aesthetic "look" and how many are related to the techniques and tools employed to create an aesthetic "sound"? The vast majority of posts about sound are related to capturing/processing dialogue so that it isn't terrible. Beyond this most basic of technical audio requirements there are very few posts about sound and fewer still about sound aesthetics/design. So yes, this forum does have a slanted view on filmmaking, although hopefully a slightly less slanted view than some other sources of filmmaking information!

G

Last edited:

Well for most color correction issues you have more problems than just hitting that "Cinema" style coloring. You have hotspots, off balances, and overall you can't afford to do great lighting that would really get that "flat" look colorists enjoy to work with. Another big issue, Magic Bullet's styles are the equivalent of Instagram filters for photographers.

I think you mixup some things.
I noticed more people do that.

1) Magic Bullet is a suite with multiple plugins.
2) One of them is Colorista II/III which is quite effective for color correction and grading: you can use it on the timeline inPrPro using waveforms and scopes. White balance, colorwheels, curves and a lot more is there. It doesn't have all the masking possibilities Resolve has (version III is coming and it's getting better) for secondaries.
3) Looks has a lot of presets indeed. Using them is indeed 'instagrammish', but you can make looks from scratch: use color wheels, curves, diffusion, blurs, almost-JJ-Abrahamish-vertical-flares-lines, obviously-fake-tilt-shift (which seems to be used a lot: even I did that a few times :P ).
4) There is Denoiser: I have no idea how god or bad it is: never used it.
5) Mojo and Cosmo are more or less preset driven, where Cosmo is geared towards skintones and 'retouching skin' (I don't like the look of that for sure)

So, may I ask you: did you ever try any magic bullet plugin?

Resolve can use presets as well. But that doesn't make it worse, right? ;)

Back