Lighting Tutorials?

Started working on an animation that will be the basis for my tutorials… When lighting, I find it most important to know what effect a light is going to have before placing it. In order to do that, one needs to know how light behaves… Not necessarily at the subatomic level specifically, but near enough that you understand the parts of light and how the photons move to be able to paint with them on set.

Anyway, to illustrate how light is generated, I created a sphere that throws particles at a regular rate… then show a surface to allow them to paint on and show the effect on a surface. also adding a reflector to show how they shape light and effect the penumbral width in relation to the core of the light where it reacts with a surface.

Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 1.38.12 PM.jpg

A couple more frames… not rendered, just out of the blender interface. Illustrating how a reflector creates the penumbra to the sides of the main core of the light by redirecting photons forward differentially (The feathered edge of the light).

I'll be modeling other types of lighting fixtures using the same models to show how they act as well… I'm working on figuring out how to show the effect of the photons falling on a flat surface as well to better illustrate the effect the photons have in what we see on the surface rather than having to imagine the result from these images.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 1.05.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 1.05.45 PM.png

and trying to figure out how to make a fresnel lens that operates on the particles so I can illustrate what that will do as well. (concentric collimation lenses).

For achieving a more stylized color scheme in a movie, think Wes Anderson-esque, I realize a lot of that is done in post but also the lighting is super important. Do you think the technique is mainly done through tons of gels or am I missing something here?

For achieving a more stylized color scheme in a movie, think Wes Anderson-esque, I realize a lot of that is done in post but also the lighting is super important. Do you think the technique is mainly done through tons of gels or am I missing something here?

Anderson's films are lit and shot very well - but it's really the production design that is key in creating a colour scheme. Have a watch of this: Wes Anderson. Shades of The Grand Budapest Hotel.

How about a practical tutorial on how to light like The Godfather. :)

Maybe especially those scenes at the beginning when the Godfather is holding audience with his subjects in his study(?) during the wedding.

We could call it "The Godfather Challenge."

Another one that sounds good to me, how about how to light like that opening dream sequence in Inception, another gorgeously lit film, if I recall right.

Ah, but I think I see what you mean. One of the reasons those films look so gorgeous is not only because of the lighting, but because of the colors used, perhaps manipulated in post as well?, and the production design. In other words, the most careful lighting in the world won't necessarily make a film look great if what the light is lighting isn't also great to look upon while being lit just so.

Last edited:
I think I see what you mean. One of the reasons those films look so gorgeous is not only because of the lighting, but because of the colors used, perhaps manipulated in post as well?, and the production design. In other words, the most careful lighting in the world won't necessarily make a film look great if what the light is lighting isn't also great to look upon while being lit just so.
The Production Designer is the Cinematographer's secret weapon ;) They make the Cinematographer look good.

How many times have you heard people comment on the 'incredible cinematography' when they really mean 'amazing production design' or 'incredibly cinematic location'

How about a practical tutorial on how to light like The Godfather. :)

Maybe especially those scenes at the beginning when the Godfather is holding audience with his subjects in his study(?) during the wedding.
My issue with mimicing lighting as a learning tool is it skips straight to the how, without looking at the why - and the 'why' is the most important part when it comes to lighting.

The trick to lightning is that its very directional, so you only need one really bright light. But it has to be bright enough to overpower all the other lights providing the general illumination of the scene. Its important that the light be from one direction, and that it create hard shadows when it is present. Then you just need a bit of black card to cover the light, and somebody to move the card back and forth to create the flashing. As far as i have learned when i was in dubai working in corporate video production dubai company the closer you can get the light to your subject, the more easily it can overpower whatever other lights you have going. Inverse square law and all that. And since the light is meant to be harsh anyway, having it as close as you can get without the light being in frame, is probably your best bet.
corporate video production dubai
Hope i Helped

Back