• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Trying out Neatvideo for the first time, and have a question.

After applying the neat video to footage shot under darker exposure, such as under streetlights, I then have to decide how much sharpness to add since the footage looks very unsharp after applying it. But a lot of filmmakers advise against having sharpness in your footage, saying that it looks oversharpened. Basically sharpness should be turned down to look more professional, such how much sharpness is too much, if I turn up the luminance and chrominance up to the max?

Last edited:
It's too much when it looks like crap.
You are so worried about what is 'professional' that you fail to see that it's just the opposite of crap.

Why do you think we can give you a number?
There is no numberrule.

And I think you use the comments from filmmakers about sharpness totally out of context here.
Showing again, you have no clou of what you are doing.

Removing noise = more or less adding blur.
This means sharp lines get blurry as well. With adding sharpness you can attempt to bring back the lines and edges without bringing back noise.
It's not the same proces as the shrpness settings while you are shooting.

After applying the neat video to footage shot under darker exposure, such as under streetlights, I then have to decide how much sharpness to add since the footage looks very unsharp after applying it. But a lot of filmmakers advise against having sharpness in your footage, saying that it looks oversharpened. Basically sharpness should be turned down to look more professional, such how much sharpness is too much, if I turn up the luminance and chrominance up to the max?

Just eyeball it - Neat defaults to 'conservative' sharpening anyway so for a lot of my clips I let it sharpen away at 100% - things only get fugly when you turn conservative off.

Incidentally, post-filtering your footage shouldn't look *too* blurry even with sharpening off (unless your footage was borderline irretrievable) - might want to spend some time reading the manual to get the best out of NV - it's worth the effort!

Okay thanks. I find the sharpening does not add much and I think some people just say it looks dull because they are so use to a sharpened look. I will turn up the sharpening until it looks good. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back