Need Advice on Equipment For A Short Film (Lights,Tripod,Mic)

Hey I've been lurking around here for awhile now and I have a few questions. First I'll explain the situation. This summer (June 1st) I plan on shooting a short horror film at my cabin. I already have a few ideas of what is going to happen and I'm going to begin writing the script this weekend with my brother. I plan on using a Canon HV30, I'm just now graduating from high school so I don't have money to get a nice XH-A1 or anything else right now. Anyways a good portion of the movie takes place outside. One scene in specific involves three characters sitting around a campfire telling ghost stories. I'm wondering about lighting and sound.

First I have bought 2 cheap 500 Watt work lights, and a 150 watt clamp light. I figure I'm going to need more lights. I'm not planning on doing any wide shots, but mostly close up shots of the characters sitting around the campfire. I'm not worried about having to hook up a generator or anything because I we happen to have access to multiple power sources. I'm wondering how many more lights should I get? Should I get more clamps? Do I need any gels for my lights or anything to reflect my lights off of? Keep in mind this is going to be shot at night. Should I get any light kits? Currently my budget for lights is about $200.

Second I'm worried about the sound. I have a Rode VideoMic that works great for indoor scenes, but will I need a boom mic for outside scenes? As far as I'm concerned this is an investment and I won't mind spending up to $200-400 on a mic. The only problem is my camera is a 3.5mm jack, and I'm assuming if I get a decent boom mic I will need an XLR adapter. Can anyone recommend me a good XLR adapter and a boom microphone to use with an HV30? For sound I'm willing to spend up to $400, but the less I spend the better.

Third I need a new tripod. I've got a cheap $30 walmart tripod and thats not cutting it anymore. I was looking at an EI717 for $150. Is this a good tripod for the HV30? I'm trying to keep the camera moving and doing that is difficult with my current set up. Also will the EI717 hold a Canon XH-A1? I plan on upgrading to one of those in a few years. I can probably spend $150-200 on a new tripod. Recommendations please.

I'm also going to be running on a deadline, I will only have about 8 days to film it as I need to get back into town to a film a wedding on the 6th. Hopefully I can film this short (6-8) minute movie with in that time.

Second I'm worried about the sound. I have a Rode VideoMic that works great for indoor scenes, but will I need a boom mic for outside scenes? As far as I'm concerned this is an investment and I won't mind spending up to $200-400 on a mic. The only problem is my camera is a 3.5mm jack, and I'm assuming if I get a decent boom mic I will need an XLR adapter. Can anyone recommend me a good XLR adapter and a boom microphone to use with an HV30? For sound I'm willing to spend up to $400, but the less I spend the better.
Everyone always wants to get away cheap on the sound.

Do you have a boompole? Shockmount? Wind protection?

Decent budget shotgun mics are the Audio-Technica AT897 and the Rode NTG-2. Both will run on a battery.

If you plug into the camera with an XRL to mini-pin adapter any cable run beyond 10' will make you very prone to RF interference. The juicedLink CX231 and the Beachtek DXA-6A will resolve this problem to a great degree.

Check my other posts and my blogs for more detailed info or PM me.

Everyone always wants to get away cheap on the sound.

Do you have a boompole? Shockmount? Wind protection?

Decent budget shotgun mics are the Audio-Technica AT897 and the Rode NTG-2. Both will run on a battery.

If you plug into the camera with an XRL to mini-pin adapter any cable run beyond 10' will make you very prone to RF interference. The juicedLink CX231 and the Beachtek DXA-6A will resolve this problem to a great degree.

Check my other posts and my blogs for more detailed info or PM me.
Sent a PM. Does anyone have any advice on what lighting kit I should pick up, or what other lights I will need for this scene? I read about some Chinese lanterns so I'm planing on getting some of those. Will I need any gels?

Sent a PM. Does anyone have any advice on what lighting kit I should pick up, or what other lights I will need for this scene? I read about some Chinese lanterns so I'm planing on getting some of those. Will I need any gels?

If the light is supposed to be campfire, then you'll want to gel lights if you use them. Another solution would be multiple other fires not in frame. I shot a very big outdoor scene that was supposed to be firelight. The one fire was in frame, the 2 other fires providing light were out of frame. I also used lights with red gels.

For stylistic reasons, this is WAY red, you probably wouldn't want that.

l_3eb4a488c7aa4749a15c54b007caaa6c.jpg

Last edited:
If the light is supposed to be campfire, then you'll want to gel lights if you use them. Another solution would be multiple other fires not in frame. I shot a very big outdoor scene that was supposed to be firelight. The one fire was in frame, the 2 other fires providing light were out of frame. I also used lights with red gels.

For stylistic reasons, this is WAY red, you probably wouldn't want that.

l_3eb4a488c7aa4749a15c54b007caaa6c.jpg
This has been incredibly helpful. The multiple fire idea is an excellent one too. A week ago I didn't even know what gel lights were. Does anyone know of a reputable gel light online retailer that has decent shipping? Great suggestions.

You can buy sheets of gel and clip them to the lights with clothespins if there are barn doors or something else on the light to clip to. Google "Lighting Gels" and you'll find them, by the roll and individuals. The fires to the side are in metal barrels. Chicken wire was stretched across the top to hold the fire near the top of the barrel instead of at the bottom and a hole was knocked in the lower part of the barrel to get airflow.

Last edited:
You can buy sheets of gel and clip them to the lights with clothespins if there are barn doors or something else on the light to clip to. Google "Lighting Gels" and you'll find them, by the roll and individuals. The fires to the side are in metal barrels. Chicken wire was stretched across the top to hold the fire near the top of the barrel instead of at the bottom and a hole was knocked in the lower part of the barrel to get airflow.
Thanks for the details, I definitely have access to some barrels and chicken wire in the area we are filming. Thanks for the information on pulling it off. I think I'm going to buy one of those bundles of different gels so I can use them in other projects too. I'm getting more excited.

As far as a tripod goes I'm working out a deal with someone now to get a Bogen 503 HDV tripod and fluid head.

I just wanted to update anyone that might be interested. I purchased an EI1717 tripod for $150. The real expense was on the audio equipment though, I bought a $189 Juiced Link C17 for the camera, a AT897 kit with a 20' XLR cable for $290 and a Windcutter windscreen for $46. I just spent all of my graduation money in one afternoon. I'm absolutely stoked to get all this equipment and start messing with it and making movies with what I have. I think I'm going to stick with cheap DIY work lights for these next couple of shorts I work on.

Back