• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch link to a body of work

i realized after reading through threads last night, that many folks link to a body of work as opposed to a single vid.

http://www.bloodmuse.com/videos.html

i've been making videos for the band Otep for about a year now. images and footage are supplied by the band and fans. live stuff. mainly shot from the mosh pits. as i said earlier, i don't use a camera myself: i prefer the editing process.

the genre of music is called artcore or jazzcore. screaming metal, though the lyrics are considered poetry. the band is named after the band's leader: Otep Shamaya. music and lyrics are extreme.

Otep, cool! Hey, do you listen to WSOU? My guess is yes. ;)

Great videos. I'll have to watch some more later.

indietalk said:
Otep, cool! Hey, do you listen to WSOU? My guess is yes. ;)

Great videos. I'll have to watch some more later.

*heh* WSOU -- very cool. yep. i'm a 50-year-old headbanger. got started listening back when Ozzy could still walk around on stage - early 70s. my kids (13 and 14) listen to the newer metal/hardcore/aggressive music. and i've followed them along.

i found Otep's music about 2 years ago. loved it. the poetry is incredible. they had just released Jihad, and were still unknown. i wrote to Otep and asked her if i could have some footage to make a video with. she put me in touch with Evil J's brother, Kevin. the latter shoots video from the mosh pits. Kevin sent me some after seeing my first effort -> Tortured. it was hell in those days. the only live footage (before Capital signed them) was some bits and pieces from Ozzfest.

since then, though, they've sent me some awesome footage from several live shows. still a pain, trying to mix and match live-action concerts with pre-recorded music. Otep/Captial let me pull the professional sound from the officially-released CDs, then try to cut it together with concerts. synching audio to video is almost impossible, but i've found that if i use 3 or more live concerts, i can usually piece it together. (that's why the band's clothes are different throughout the vids.)

my last video - Requiem - was used to open this year's tour, at those venues that had projectors and screens. it's a little dark for computer/tv monitors - but in the dark of the venue, it was quite creepy.

thanks for the comment! i'm always trying to learn more. i am self-taught. i've never read a manual, let alone attend a film school. i learn as i go.

db

Requiem is awesome. Still have to watch the others.

Those were awesome!

I'm hooked. Picking up some Otep this Friday.
smiley_rock.gif

i've been making videos for the band Otep for about a year now.

...Otep? Oh, HELL YEAH! That girl can shred! And from what I have gotten from her work she's pretty smart, too. Not often, but more now, do you find grrls who can lay it down like that. Cool video for...uh, I always forget the names of the songs but I remember the video which was very animated, lots of creativity. Good for you.

I just though the music was hardcore. Mastodon seems more jazz like, as does Opeth. Just goes to prove that metal musicians are alot more talented than people want to give them credit for...

...nothing wrong with no film school or learning as you go. You are out there and that's what's most important. Welcome to the board..

--spinner :cool:

spinner said:
...Otep? Oh, HELL YEAH! That girl can shred! And from what I have gotten from her work she's pretty smart, too. Not often, but more now, do you find grrls who can lay it down like that. Cool video for...uh, I always forget the names of the songs but I remember the video which was very animated, lots of creativity. Good for you.

I just though the music was hardcore. Mastodon seems more jazz like, as does Opeth. Just goes to prove that metal musicians are alot more talented than people want to give them credit for...

...nothing wrong with no film school or learning as you go. You are out there and that's what's most important. Welcome to the board..

thanks, spinner, but i don't want to mislead y'all. i'm not the official videographer for the band. the Warhead video comes from Capitol. that isn't one that i made. i'm just that fan they trust with footage and music to make raw video stuff -> thanks for the welcome!

davidbenson said:
thanks, spinner, but i don't want to mislead y'all. i'm not the official videographer for the band. the Warhead video comes from Capitol. that isn't one that i made. i'm just that fan they trust with footage and music to make raw video stuff -> thanks for the welcome!

...no harm, no foul... I am going to try to get a look at the videos over the weekend, alittle late for me to wait for my slow computer to download stuff tonight, but I will look. And who knows? maybe you will be the next big music video director out the door...

Picked up "House of Secrets" this weekend.

Holy christ, she's got quite a set of pipes! :cool:

Thanks for posting the vids. I'd never heard of this band before. (Actually, I'd never heard the term "jazzcore" before, either.)

Back