Cheapest film to use

I plan on making a heavily low-budget feature in the future, and because of it's noirish style, I need to shoot it black-and-white on some sort of film. I was thinking 16 mm, but I've recently heard some things about how that's expensive. Any recommendations of what sort of wallet-friendly film there is out there, and how I can get it?

Thanks.

you'd save more money getting a good digital camera, then making it look crappy in post. You won't waste money on film

You're implying that:

1) Film looks crappy
2) Shooting on film is a waste of money

Neither of which is true.

I love film, can't beat it - if you have the budget for it, and want your short to look like it was shot on film, I see absolutely no point shooting on digital and then attempting to make it look like film.

It'd be kinda like saying 'I have the budget to shoot on Alexa, and I want my movie to look like it was shot on an Alexa, but I'm not going to shoot it on an Alexa, instead I'm going to shoot on a DSLR, and try and make it look like it was shot on Alexa'

You have to actually shoot some film to see what it will do for you. What I mean is, what film will bring out of you as a creative artist. Film is a different canvas and requires different disciplines than video. Shooting film is a process, a journey, not a destination.

Back