• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Student film for fundamentals class.

Hi everyone ^_^ my semester is just about to end and my final project for my Fundamentals of Digital Filmaking is complete. It's due Monday evening and I thought I would post this here to get some feedback. This was my first film that I have done from beginning to end that includes actors, a script, and a time constraint. All I have done before this was recording a couple local art shows. Thanks everyone! I take all criticism as constructive so feel free to speak your mind.

http://vimeo.com/33083215

I like it! The flow (i guess you can say pace) of the movie is really nice. You have some really good shots esp the reflection of the light rail on the building was brilliant!! im jelous! hope my stuff is as polished when i finsh my short!

thanks Psychosis Media! after spending hours in editing you really can't tell anymore whats good and bad LOL u kinda get tunnel visioned. My instructor said that pace would be important in my kinda film so I spent a good amount of energy on it. Let me know when your short is completed, I would love to see it =)

Nice clean shots, looked very much like a dslr with the minimal colour grading though. i think a more artsy look would have worked better. I like that you haven't pushed the blacks and gone for that common high contrast look.

The track shots on the train were nice, not sure about the car. I wouldn't have shot that with a set of shop windows behind the talent, ruins the illusion imo.

Also not sure on that Pixies cover, sorry! Don't mess with a classic ;)

Thanks for the input Nathan =) During this shoot I had to work with alot of restrictions. Mainly the limited space and time on the monorail cars. There are only two cars on the rail that I could use and most of these shots were done during rush hour traffic in downtown so I had to shoot what I could get. I didn't want to have too many inconsistencies than they already have lol (i.e. sunlight changing directions from shot to shot, and background going from left to right then right to left). Sadly the monorail only runs Monday-Friday and I work full-time and take classes at my community college. If had more time I definitely would have made an original song on some generator of sorts, but I ran outta time =( Yes, I do like the Pixies.

Last edited:
I like the opening running shot. Nice.

I also liked the "magic hour" sun set lit shots, like @ 1:18, and it's warm contrast to the cool blue afternoon shots, like @ 1:52.

However, even though I know time has progressed and it's now past sunset, the heavy tungsten lit shots (technically, they're likely sodium arc lights - but... whatever), like @ 4:57 & 5:00, I don't care for.
Yeah, I know that's what it officially looks like, but I also know cameras can white balance for the environmental light (kinda like what our eyes & brains do naturally).
Faithful to a fault, perhaps? Light-color-wise?

Otherwise, a nice short story well edited.

thanks for the compliment rayw. I shot the final scene earlier into the semester because it was a time when I could get both actors and I didn't get to learn about White Balancing in class yet =( so some of the shots in this short were done in Auto White Balance. I kill myself for some of the things I know now that I could have applied to this film. But I learned you can do cool stuff in post to correct this right?

Realy good. I wonder wat jou can do If jou want to make a longer movie....Pasing was realy good, most shots where good (or realy good) and the hole movie keept me intrested.

A Job wel done

Thanks Feutus Lapdance. I was hoping to do a longer film for this project but 4-7 minutes was what was given to us. For my first real film and a noobie like me I know now why he wanted it short like that LOL if it would be longer I think I would have been overwhelmed. When I wrote this I thought the story was kinda generic including the fact that I got my friends to do this not really actors, except for the lead male. Ive been getting alot of good feedback by u guys so I guess it came out well =)

Back