• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Band Song Usage

Yet another question. :) With my next film I will definitely be much more informed and be able to do what all of you helpful folks have been doing.

Anyway, I have a signed contract from a fairly large UK band to use one of their songs in my film. The CD the song is on is not available in the States (it may not even be available outside the States since it sounds like the band is re-mixing the album).

My question is (and this is much more relevant if I self distribute since it would be my headache) since the band has signed off on allowing us to use their song do I need to get clearance from the record label assuming their is a record label to get rights from?

Ooh, I want sooo bad to tell a joke here that starts with "This one time, at band camp..." :lol:

But to help with your question,
since the band has signed off on allowing us to use their song do I need to get clearance from the record label assuming their is a record label to get rights from?
this depends on the contract you signed.

IANAL, but does the contract include the record label or is it with the band only? If the label is not in the contract, I'd check with them before you do anything.

Back