Editing in RAW

So... I am overwhelmed by the sheer terror of potentially editing a feature I have written in RAW. Assuming we shoot 10 Tb of footage, I have to store all of this and then somehow attempt to edit it using a high end MacBook. This is an 2.2 GHz i7, 16 Gb RAM with 1600 MHz DDR, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and naturally only Thunderbolt will do.

I'm thinking proxies in FCPX should be fine.

Am I deluded? Is this enough muscle or is this going to hurt? What do you think?

The good news: 10tb is hardly an issue these days. It's a drop in the bucket. We're shooting with ProRes and most days we're coming out the other end with 1tb of space used. 10tb for a feature isn't a lot.

It depends on what you have, what you're doing and what your setup can handle, but I'd go with a proxy workflow.

Test your whole workflow and see what you need.

So... I am overwhelmed by the sheer terror of potentially editing a feature I have written in RAW. Assuming we shoot 10 Tb of footage, I have to store all of this and then somehow attempt to edit it using a high end MacBook. This is an 2.2 GHz i7, 16 Gb RAM with 1600 MHz DDR, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and naturally only Thunderbolt will do.

I'm thinking proxies in FCPX should be fine.

Am I deluded? Is this enough muscle or is this going to hurt? What do you think?

Personally, if you are confident this wont be your last project on this scale, I would build, or purchase, an actual dedicated NLE, which you'll find out quickly are all PC based. Twice the horsepower for half the cost and you can crack 'em open and tweak/upgrade in your sleep.

FCP fell way out of favor once Premiere introduced MPE/GPU acceleration... it really can't be touched. I felt this in my own circles but was more than vindicated at NAB. Apparently they've taken such a hit that there was talk of discontinuation, but to be fair this was from a MLB rep (who was beaming about the results from last years big switch to Premiere).

Of course if you are a mac/fcp guy there would be a learning curve, but OTOH it does seem you are at an event horizon crossroads here... so it can't hurt to think and weigh.

Last edited:
Personally, if you are confident this wont be your last project on this scale, I would build, or purchase, an actual dedicated NLE, which you'll find out quickly are all PC based. Twice the horsepower for half the cost and you can crack 'em open and tweak/upgrade in your sleep.

FCP fell way out of favor once Premiere introduced MPE/GPU acceleration... it really can't be touched. I felt this in my own circles but was more than vindicated at NAB. Apparently they've taken such a hit that there was talk of discontinuation, but to be fair this was from a MLB rep (who was beaming about the results from last years big switch to Premiere).

Of course if you are a mac/fcp guy there would be a learning curve, but OTOH it does seem you are at an event horizon crossroads here... so it can't hurt to think and weigh.

I'm quite happy with FCPX and have used Avid and Premiere. FCPX does what I need pretty well and the question is around codec, not changing my NLE, hardware and post setup. In fact, a proxy setup would work well within the context of my setup but there is a cost implication given I am shooting a feature.

I can get what I want without RAW and this will save time and money. It's more difficult to achieve because we need to get it closer to the end product as more of the image will be baked in.

Back