Issue with C100 mark ii and Sony UWP-D11. Any ideas?

Hi,

I'm a newb on here. Recently bought a C100 mark ii and the sony uwp-d11 wireless lavalier mic.

When I connect them up, there is an infuriating buzz in the monitor that is also translated to any recordings.

The buzz continues even if the mic unit is turned off, so it is not the transmitter.
The buzz continues without any kind of variation regardless of frequency, so it is not the frequency.
I have tried the mic (using the same cables) and receiver into an external recorder and it works fine without any buzz, so it is not the receiver.
I have tried another mic into the camera and it works fine without any buzz, so it is not the camera!

The problem only exists when I connect the sony mic to the c100. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Well, I'm stumped. It could be a wiring problem peculiar to the C100/uwp-d11 specifically. You didn't mention whether or not you were using brand new quality batteries all around.

Have you tried contacting Canon and/or Sony?

I haven't touched mk2. I'm assuming it's mostly like the original c100.

Is phantom power on? Try turning it off.

Isn't there a second XLR port? Tried using that port instead?

Is there a 3.5mm option? Tried that?

Does the problem still happen if you use another microphone (like a shotgun) in that same xlr port? It could be a fault with the camera itself.

As Alcove said, tried new batteries?

Longshot (and unlikely to do anything), but have you tried changing the frequency?

Well, I'm stumped. It could be a wiring problem peculiar to the C100/uwp-d11 specifically. You didn't mention whether or not you were using brand new quality batteries all around.

Have you tried contacting Canon and/or Sony?

Thanks again for responding. They are all new quality batteries.
The 3.5mm jack input seems to be working fine though! I hadn't even tried it before, as I normally use XLR inputs for audio. Still very frustrating to have the issue with the XLR still unresolved but at least I can get the audio now.

I've contacted canon, but no response via email yet. Contacting them (and Sony) again today.

I'm having the exact same problem!

It's recording the buzz which is frustrating.

Also mine is the C100 mk 2.. which makes me think it's possibly a Sony problem

If you plug headphones directly into the transmitter you'll find the audio works fine out of there.. it's just the connectivity to the camera.

If you find out any info please let me know!!

I haven't touched mk2. I'm assuming it's mostly like the original c100.

Is phantom power on? Try turning it off.

Isn't there a second XLR port? Tried using that port instead?

Is there a 3.5mm option? Tried that?

Does the problem still happen if you use another microphone (like a shotgun) in that same xlr port? It could be a fault with the camera itself.

As Alcove said, tried new batteries?

Longshot (and unlikely to do anything), but have you tried changing the frequency?

Hey Sweetie, thank you for responding too.
I didn't have phantom power on (sony uwp-d11 is battery-powered).
There is a second XLR port, but that didn't affect the issue.
The 3.5mm option works, but I want the XLR option to work.
Using another mic in the port doesn't affect the issue (see my original post).
Batteries are all new.
Frequency change had no impact.

If anyone has any other ideas would love to hear them? Heard back from Canon and they went with the unhelpful and unrealistic "we don't recommend anyone uses any products other than canon" route. Talking to Sony tomorrow.

I'm having the exact same problem!

It's recording the buzz which is frustrating.

Also mine is the C100 mk 2.. which makes me think it's possibly a Sony problem

If you plug headphones directly into the transmitter you'll find the audio works fine out of there.. it's just the connectivity to the camera.

If you find out any info please let me know!!

If you check my original post, mine is also the C100 mk 2, so it may be a Canon problem. Actually though, it just seems to be a problem with the connectivity of the two. Other mics are working with the camera, external recorders are working with the mic.

If you use the 3.5mm jack input (as Alcove and Sweetie mentioned), you should find that it works okay - assuming we're having exactly the same problem. I want it working through the XLR port though, as the controls for the XLR input are on the top of the handle which means I can easily adjust the levels as I go.

Will let you know if I hear anything useful from Sony tomorrow.

Had the same problem with my c100 mark II and uwp-d11. I set the XLR cable back and still had the same problem with the replacement. in the end I just just got the same cable but for a Sennheiser and it works fine. No idea what the problem was.

Back