• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Action vs Parenthetial Direction

Hello,

I have a general question regarding activity and parenthetical direction (PD). In a small sample below, I want to showcase that the character Chris is facing away whilst he is interacting with Joe. Now what I've done is to ensure Chris is still facing away is that I included PD above his dialogue. I've already mentioned in the acting that Chris is facing away, but my question is that this is a suitable way to convey my approach. Reason is because I have to include multiple PD. The only other way I can think of is include another action like "Chris remains facing away" before he talks and state in another action that he turns once he does.

Here is my sample:

Facing away, Chris stops and punches his other hand, grabbing his fist as he closes his eyes and exhales.

CHRIS
(facing away)
Both of you leave now before I do something I regret.

JOE
We’ll leave, but let me tell you this Chris. You have two options, let her go for an opportunity in life, or keep her here and risk her future.

CHRIS
(facing away)
You already know my decision.

Joe smirks.

JOE
Why don’t you clarify with Lisa?

Chris faces Joe.

The other option I was thinking was this:

Facing away, Chris stops and punches his other hand, grabbing his fist as he closes his eyes and exhales. He remains facing away.

CHRIS
Both of you leave now before I do something I regret.

JOE
We’ll leave, but let me tell you this Chris. You have two options, let her go for an opportunity in life, or keep her here and risk her future.

CHRIS

Joe smirks.

JOE

Chris faces Joe.

Thank you.

I think parentheticals are best suited to conveying feeling/emotion rather than actions, and only if really necessary.

So like...

Code:
Chris stands with his back to Joe. Slamming the fist of his right hand into his left, 
he clutches the fist, closes his eyes tightly and exhales calming himself.

CHRIS
                    Both of you leave now before I do something I
                    regret.

JOE
                    We’ll leave, but let me tell you this Chris. You 
                    have two options, let her go for an opportunity
                    in life, or keep her here and risk her future.

Chris remains with his back to Joe, his eyes flutter as he grits his teeth.

CHRIS

Joe steps forward, reaching for the door handle. Pausing, he looks back toward Chris.

JOE
                                 (sarcastically)

Chris whirls around, his eyes snap open while he thrusts his hands forward grasping at 
Joe's throat.

The 'sarcastically' parententical certainly isn't "necessary" there, but it's an illustration of how I personally see them being more useful.

Last edited:
Back