The Academy Awards

Film is subjective. Put the two of us in a room and we may find ten
movies released in 2018 that we both agree on. Add sfoster and
peacemaker and the four of us would find it difficult to find five
movies we all think worthy of being the best. Now put around 6,000
people in a room.

Based on this rationale everything is subjective then right? Then I say :"what is the point of film awards?". what do u answer to that? It's entertainment? then why most professionals use these awards as a touchstone to decide what a good movie is? Just buy a ticket and some popcorn and hit the ceremony. Why people give these awards so much credit then?

I don't think there is a problem that needs to be solved.
I'm sorry but there is a problem to be solved. Academy awards is thematically biased towards drama based on the prevalence of dramas nominated every year and scarcity of some other genres like crime or horror ( I made some examples of some of the good ones earlier). Their agendas are political. Most of the time anything without a humanitarian context is always ignored.

The Oscar is a popularity award with a strong aspect of self congratulation and
showing how "important" the people who make films are.

Well they are failing really bad in that regard. Underdogs and overlooked jewels don't get appreciated. They are not acknowledging a majority of the talents out there. And they are not showing how "Important" filmmakers are, they are just showing how" important" PEOPLE are (Back to the humanitarian context). Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being humanitarian, I'm just saying if you are only looking for movies with that context, lots of great movies get overlooked and not appreciated.

"the best" because there is no such thing.

Though I agree it's impossible to pick "the best" movie, but it doesn't at all justify the nominations of mediocre movies. Again saying what you said, how would you react if you saw a movie like "The room" which is considered by the majority of the people as the worst movie ever made, in the Oscars ? would you say even then that because there is not such thing as the best hence this movie's nomination is justified. We may not be able to decide on what is the best, but we can all know what is a "bad" movie. Justifying every undeserved academy award by saying there is no such thing as the best is just ignorant.

Somehow, could not get myself to watch Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born. Vice seems good with characters but not much with the storyline. Yet to watch Roma

For what it's (not) worth, I loved Black Panther.

I'm not a super hero fan, and I couldn't tell a DC character from a Marvel character if my life depended on it. But I thought the story was interesting as were the characters, and the actors were terrific.

If you haven't seen Iron Man i strongly recommend it.
The movie was so good it relaunched RDJs career.

Another example how the Academy is nothing more than an entertainment
TV show that is not relevant to actual filmmaking. In an effort to streamline
the show the Academy has decided to present four categories during the
commercial breaks: Live Action Short, Make-up/Hairstyling and...

Cinematography and Editing.

Yes, they're still giving out the award and they will announce the winner
but they have decided to not show clips from the nominees or the acceptance
speech. Yet they will still play the nominates songs.

It does make sense for an entertainment TV show; songs are far more
popular among the general population. The Academy has found that the average
watcher of the awards show are not as interested in cinematography and
editing.

What is more "film making" than cinematography and editing? Without
cinematography and editing you're watching a play.

editing.

meanwhile they still expect us to care who was somebody's driver in the end credits

Last edited:

editing.

They show the clips for the main categories (Picture, Directing, Acting). Rest of the categories (not just cinematography and editing), they show only a screen grab from the picture, to reduce the run time of the event. For writing, they do a page screenshot of the screenplay these days.

The idea that removing Cinematography and Editing from TV will improve ratings just shows me that they care more about ratings than giving respect to people who work in the film industry. It's an awards ceremony that is televised ... not a TV show.

The idea that removing Cinematography and Editing from TV will improve ratings just shows me that they care more about ratings than giving respect to people who work in the film industry. It's an awards ceremony that is televised ... not a TV show.

You seem to be contradicting yourself... as an awards ceremony nothing was removed at all.
If you're there in person it would be impossible to notice a difference.

You're saying its not a TV show but the TV show part is the only part that has changed.

I'm saying that it's dumb to remove award presentations from the TV broadcast. It's not about ratings. It's about showing people winning awards.

I'm saying that it's dumb to remove award presentations from the TV broadcast. It's not about ratings. It's about showing people winning awards.

IDK man. if it's a show on tv then it's show business and its about ratings. business will always be the bottom line unless youre making propaganda.

Last edited:
It's a highly produced TV show with written lines for presenters, a well thought out host, lighting, and music.

A televised event is the Daytona 500.

IDK man. if it's a show on tv then it's show business and its about ratings. business will always be the bottom line unless youre making propaganda.

They could just not air the Oscars if it's not getting viewers. It doesn't make sense to change it for "ratings". TV rating aren't even accurate. They could also simply not spend much money on it. I never did understand why it has to be "written". You could hire a guy from the street to talk about movies and host it and it would be just as entertaining.

These are the things that I hate about show business.

TV rating aren't even accurate.

Ratings are WAY more accurate than the Nielsen ratings days. Where only a small percentage of the population had a Nielsen box. Now, everything everyone watches is tracked, because it's digital and possible to track now! So what you just said makes no sense. When they say 2 million people watched _______, that is accurate.

They could just not air the Oscars if it's not getting viewers. It doesn't make sense to change it for "ratings".

I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make.
They didn't change the oscars at all.. like i said before if you are there in person it's literally exactly the same.

they could just not air the oscars?
You'd rather them not have the tv show at all... rather than have an editor cut out parts of the tv show to make it more entertaining?

Wow you really hate editors.
No wonder they removed the editing category from the broadcast

Back