Question about the new "Mission Impossible"

I'm aware that over in the states, during IMAX screenings of the new Mission Impossible movie, there will be a prologue to The Dark Knight Rises.
I'm wondering if anyone knows if this case remains true over in the UK, as I'm debating seeing the MI film, and if I can see the new Batman prologue, then I'll probably go to an IMAX and see it.

I don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere, there is an online listing of every single theater that will show the "Dark Knight" prologue.

I can't wait to see Tintin. Consider me a Spielberg fanboy. :)

I'll let you know if I see a Hobbit trailer.

Did we in the UK get Tintin before you guys? Strange. Anyway... We didn't get any Hobbit teaser! :( Probably too early...

None of those UK IMAX's are within a hundred miles of me!! Oh well... The more I read about Batman, the less I'm looking forward to it...

Did we in the UK get Tintin before you guys? Strange. Anyway... We didn't get any Hobbit teaser! :( Probably too early...

None of those UK IMAX's are within a hundred miles of me!! Oh well... The more I read about Batman, the less I'm looking forward to it...

Yeah, Tintin is much bigger on your side of the pond, so you guys got it first!

Just curious, why are you looking forward to Batman less? I've been having the opposite reaction; looking forward to seeing Bane done right (unlike previous movie appearances, and even in the otherwise excellent animated series). Touching on some of the Knightfall stuff would be great! Of course, what I REALLY want is an adaptation of "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth"...

Just curious, why are you looking forward to Batman less?

For me, I was never keen on the idea of Bane as a main villain. I doubt he’ll be done right... From what’s been said, it sounds like ‘venom’ wont play any part in the storyline – this Bane’s mask only feeds him an anaesthetic… I fear that Nolan only chose Bane specifically so he can do “Knightfall” and have him break Bruce’s back (and I’d bet a pretty penny that that’s going to happen in this movie!).

Selina Kyle’s in it too, but is she actually Catwoman or what? She doesn’t look like Catwoman. I don’t think Catwoman really fits into the Nolan world, so I could understand him changing the character. What I don’t understand is why they bothered using the character at all? I expect she’ll take over from Batman, while he recovers from his broken back…

Why bring back Ra’s Al Ghul? In a flashback, too? I’m sure there’ll be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but… I’m just not sure about it…

Reports of Cillian Murphy being on set suggest that Scarecrow will be back again. Why??? That really annoyed me in TDK. Bringing him back seemed cheap and pointless. Why do it again? Could be wrong, could just be rumours, we’ll see…

8 years later? Is that necessary? I expect we’ll see some of what happened during that time. Perhaps that’s where Ra’s and Scarecrow come in. It all just seems strange to me.

Phew… I could rant all day. Most of my concerns are based on rumours and the few behind-the-scenes glimpses we’ve had. But to me, it all sounds like a huge mess at the moment. Fingers crossed I'm wrong, I really hope I am. At the moment, I'm actually more intrested in "The Avengers".

I'm with you on the Selena Kyle thing. Not sure how she'll fit into the world, but I think Nolan did a good job with Two Face; keeping the interesting character drama and killing him off before he got too silly.

However, all your other points I am of the opposite opinion on. I loved the Scarecrow cameo in TDK (of course, Scarecrow is my favorite batman antagonist, so I'm a bit biased!), it created the world of Gotham. Bats keeps fighting the same people; they keep breaking out. If the comics are any indication this happens all the time, and by throwing in Scarecrow, you reference that. Furthermore, Scarecrow's reaction when caught sets up the Joker's relationship with Batman, and another demonstration that his presence is creating these supervillains. Bringing him back again, as well as Ra's, could be used in any number of ways, both good and bad. We'll see, but in this, I choose to be hopeful!

Now, the big issue here Bane. I can see Nolan omitting the Venom, as that he's trying to make Batman movies that are more realistic. But taking the character from the comics, what is he? He's a brutal thug who is MUCH smarter than anyone thinks he is. No doubt they'll do the "brutality" part right, but the question is will they do smart Bane, or dumb thug Bane (again, reference animated series). Building an anesthetic mask leans towards smart Bane. Having a crime boss give it to him leans dowards dumb Bane. We'll see, but I'm hopeful :)

Either way, it's fun to talk about! I am also looking forward to the Avengers. It's a good time for comic book movies!

I loved the Scarecrow cameo in TDK...

I hated it. It was the single worst moment of the movie.

For me, the cameo felt too much like it was trying to achieve something. I remember reading on forums before the release of TDK, lots of people (whom I imagine to have been kids with no imagination, who needed everything to be spoon-fed to them) were saying “What happened to Scarecrow?”. For me, having Scarecrow go crazy and disappear off into the night somewhere was perfectly acceptable.

The cameo felt like Nolan trying to offer these people an answer. In my mind, it actually raised more questions... If Scarecrow went crazy in Batman Begins, why was he no longer crazy in TDK? Did he develop his own cure? Did somebody give him the cure? Or did his toxin just wear off? Does that mean that the population of Gotham would’ve been alright without the cure, so Ra's plan would've failed anyway? I could go on…

If I were making the next Batman film, thinking about it now, I’d have gone with Black Mask for the villain…

Back