Basic Audio Solutions?

This will be my first year competing in the in a small nation-wide 'open-to-all' competition and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me regarding microphones. My budget is minimal ($120 or so) and I am looking for a mic that I can use for this competition but also other l projects that I am planning. The most promising choice I have looked at are the Zoom H1 (as both a boom and, DSLR-mounted mic). The reasons I am looking into another audio solution is because I have found the the hiss you get with the Canon 600D almost unbearable.
I've attempted to filter out the hiss caused, but the final sound tends to end up quite tinny and muted and the hiss tends to still be audible when people are speaking - then again, I was just using audacity... is there a particular
I have checked out MagicLantern which sounds great, but I am worried about the possibility (however unlikely) that I would brick my camera... knowing my luck, I probably would.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to buy the Zoom H1 as just an external mic? If I was to get the Zoom H1, what cable would I need to connect it to my Canon 600D?Is there an application that would help filter out the hiss easily? (the competition has pretty tight time restraints which is a bit of an issue) Any other suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions!

I guess you realize this.... but a Zoom H1 is not a mic. Despite their popularity with indie film makers, Zoom H-series products aren't even very good recorders.

If your budget is only $150, I suggest you politely ask an audio person to work for a reduced rate for this project. That's the only thing you could do if you want good audio with that amount of money.

Otherwise... my suggestion is to not produce the project and save money until you can afford to do it correctly. In order to get solid audio with that camera, you'll need a mic and mixer/recorder.... then you could feed that into the camera.... or record separate and resync as your logging footage.

The "secret" to quality audio sound is:

1. The proper equipment for each situation
2. Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Technique
3. Technique, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
4. Skills, Technique, Knowledge and Experience
5. Experience, Knowledge, Technique and Skills
6. Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Technique
7. Technique, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
8. Skills, Technique, Knowledge and Experience
9. Experience, Knowledge, Technique and Skills
10. Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Technique

A properly aimed microphone will solve 75% of your problems. The mic should be above and in front of the talent aimed at the notch at the base of the throat. This is an extremely difficult skill to master, especially as you have to continuously adjust the aim from actor to actor.

Most professionals use a shotgun mic both indoors and outdoors; they have the skills/techniques to make it work. Audio newbs should use a hypercardioid mic; the wider pick-up pattern is a bit more forgiving and (if used properly) somewhat reduces the hollow roomy sound so prevalent in most indie projects.

As you can guess, there are no cheap, easy solutions to getting good sound.

I would suggest that you start by reading The Location Sound Bible by Rik Viers. It will give you an idea of what you are really getting into as far as production sound is concerned.

51%2BATLMrpsL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

As far as a "cheap" mic goes you may want to consider the RØDE VideoMic ($190 with boom-pole and wind-buster) or the VideoMic Pro ($220 with wind-buster). Decent build, passable sound and possible future uses make them a good investment for most low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers.

rode-videomic-pro.jpg

As far as a "cheap" mic goes you may want to consider the RØDE VideoMic ($190 with boom-pole and wind-buster) or the VideoMic Pro ($220 with wind-buster). Decent build, passable sound and possible future uses make them a good investment for most low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers.
These also have decent resale value. You can easily recover 50%, sometimes 75% of the price new. Compared to dslr camera bodies, you'd be lucky to recover 50%.

Well, there ya go... You may be able to find a used one in decent shape in the $60 to $100 range.

Oh, I almost forgot... You need some quality headphones like the Sony MDR-7506 or Sennheiser HD 380; figure another $100.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what else you do, GET THE SOUND RIGHT!!!

Simple math tells us that's where half of every indie filmmakers equipment budget should be going.

Back