recommend me noir films.

as the title says, i want you guys to suggest me any black and white film you like. from silent cinema (for example with Chaplin) until the last noir film ever shot. :D thanks!

Oh, when you said noir I thought you meant films of the 'film noir' genre but if it's black & white films I have even more to recommend.

I mostly watch classic cinema so I have a ton of favorites. I'm not sure if you're into foreign film so I'm just going to list them separately.

English Language Films
Citizen Kane
The General
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Safety Last!
The Gold Rush
Out Of The Past
Double Indemnity
Fort Apache
Top Hat
The Big Sleep
His Girl Friday
Manhattan
On The Waterfront
A Streetcar Named Desire
Schindler's List
Meet John Doe
Repulsion
The Bride of Frankenstein
King Kong
Inherit The Wind
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Frankenstein
The Kid
Brief Encounter
Dodsworth
Night Of th
Night Of The Living Dead
The Ox-Bow Incident
A Hard Day's Night
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934 version)
The Gay Divorcee
Adam's Rib
The Public Enemy
The Thief Of Bagdad (1924 version)
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Detour
Gun Crazy
Our Hospitality
Three Ages
Blind Husbands
Kansas City Confidential
House On Haunted Hill
The Big Combo
The Marrying Kind
The Servant

Foreign Language Films
Late Spring
Tokyo Story
Ugetsu
Rashomon
Cleo from 5 to 7
Ikiru
Spring In A Small Town
The Seventh Seal
8 1/2
Wild Strawberries
The 400 Blows
Tange Sazen And The Pot Worth A Million Ryo
The Ball At The Anjo House
A Story Of Floating Weeds
A Page Of Madness
The Gospel According To St. Matthew
The Burmese Harp
Street Angel (1937 Chinese film)
Through A Glass Darkly
L'Age D'Or
The Water Magician
Nosferatu
Metropolis
Breathless
Mikio Naruse's early films (my favorites so far include Morning's Tree-Lined Street, Wife! Be Like A Rose!, Every-Night Dreams, and Avalanche)
The Tale Of Zatoichi
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
What Did The Lady Forget?
La Pointe Courte
Mambo Girl
Troubled Waters (or An Inlet Of Muddy Water)
The Story Of A Discharged Prisoner
The Neighbor's Wife And Mine

This is just from my personal viewing experience, I only got into film seriously kind of recently and I tend to watch a lot of obscure films so I am missing a lot of canonized films which I am sure are also great. Have fun with exploring black & white cinema!

If you're looking for actual "Film Noir", check out detour. It seems like a good place to start.

If you're looking for black and white cinema (which is something else entirely, although noir is typically shot in b/w), you might as well ask for a list of colour movies. Or films shot on film vs digital. It's not exactly a genre.

My battery is running short, and I don't have time to type a full list of either, but give detour a look.

Yeah, I was confused too. I did recommend Detour, Double Indemnity, and The Maltese Falcon which are film noirs.

There are actually good film noirs in color too like Leave Her To Heaven.

And Chinatown, Bladerunner, Brick, Taxi Driver, Point Blank, LA confidential, Sin City, etc. Neo-Noir is an awesome genre to investigate once you're familiar with classical film noir conventions.

If OP means just black and white films... wut?

Eh, aside from Chinatown I wouldn't consider the other ones noirs even though they are good films. They are neo-noir but that's different from film noir to me, they are also good but just way different from the original film noir (I mean we can even call Batman films neo-noir but I wouldn't call it a film noir). I'm kind of a noir purist, but I know that many would agree that these are noirs. But for me, Taxi Driver has much more in common with The Searchers than The Maltese Falcon (probably the first major film noir) so I'd rather even call it an urban western (even though I wouldn't) rather than a neo-noir.

And yeah the OP did say "any black and white film" so I just think he/she messed up on the title.

Last edited:
Eh, aside from Chinatown I wouldn't consider the other ones noirs even though they are good films. They are neo-noir but that's different from film noir to me, they are also good but just way different from the original film noir (I mean we can even call Batman films neo-noir but I wouldn't call it a film noir). I'm kind of a noir purist, but I know that many would agree that these are noirs. But for me, Taxi Driver has much more in common with The Searchers than The Maltese Falcon (probably the first major film noir) so I'd rather even call it an urban western (even though I wouldn't) rather than a neo-noir.

And yeah the OP did say "any black and white film" so I just think he/she messed up on the title.

Yeah I was referencing those films as examples of neo noir, which as I said, is a really interesting area to look at.

If op just wants b&w films, is that cause you love older films, or the look of b&w? If its the former, don't forget a lot of early films weren't b&w, but were tinted. I love films such as Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr Cagliari. German cinema had a pretty awesome silent period.

If its just the aesthetic, then modern films like The White Ribbon and A Field in England are awesome.

old films, new films. it doesn't matter. i just love the culture of noir and neo noir. :D

thank you for the list once again!

Wait, are you getting that noir and black and white are two different things? Twelve angry men, for instance, is not a noir film despite being in black and white. Blade Runner, one the other hand, is a noir film despite being in colour.

Back