Film music all sounding the same?

Is it just me or are a lot of composer's music all sounding like Batman/ Inception now-a-days?

A lot of it does sound similar. I'll hear a movie on in the other room and lots of times i'll think it's the matrix because of the music but it's always some other film

Lol. Yes. This has crossed my mind too. But actually I like Bwaaang. It's pretty effective. That's probably why it gets used. And it's more pervasive than scores. It's also used as sound effect. Remember the alien ships in War of the Worlds (2005)? Also, the larger terminator in Terminator Salvation? (God I'm so disappointed they dropped that.)

It's probably only a matter of time before bwaaang will lose its effectiveness. They'll find something else. Maybe that time has already arrived; witness this satirical trailer.

Last edited:
It's definitely brass-based, but there'd probably be all sorts - drums, synthesis, low frequency stuff - in there too.

I actually had a problem with Terminator Salvation. There were quite a few moments where I couldn't tell if I what I was hearing was score or robot sound fx. Found it quite off-putting.

Anyone watch Game of Thrones? In the second to last episode of the last season (Castle Black) they used the BWAAANG sound prominently in lieu of a musical score, as the horn that the night watch sounded. I thought it was very effective in that context.

It's either a tuba or trombone
Sounds more like a Tuba. The Tuba is actually very effective instrument for suspense music.

Actually, it sounds like it started life as a Bass Trombone and a Tuba together, although it's so heavily processed it's difficult to tell for sure. It's even possible that it didn't start life as an acoustic instrument/s at all, but is the result of some clever FM synthesis.

G

It`s quite obvious, a lot of films when they get to the action scene will sound similar to something from a movie that was a hit. Star wars comes to mind, i`ve heard the same riff in other movies.

Back