Looking for a film with solo actor

So my problem is, I went all over the german web, and many forums, but no one could really give me an real example, and i start to wonder if this was ever done.

The thing is, I kinda want to do a film, with only one actor, without any dialogue at all - or lets say hes doing dialogue with himself ( monologue ), the only thing in my mind whats coming near to this is Permanent Vacation, despite the dialogue, the viewer doesnt get near the other actors, and the best thing the german community came up with was the movie Buried - which is kinda giving me an idea how it could be done, but still lots of dialogues [ have only seen the trailer tough, but still, the plot seems to tend involving them more since he needs their help ;) ]

- so my question is, is there any other movie or try on doing such an solo movie, or is there any book or blog about it? Im rly interested in filmtheory and how dramatic? [ not the best english sorry ] would work in such a movie , so im rly wondering about theory saying about getting tention to such a movie due no dialogue and no new character

Greetings,

Mamoksche

This is pretty handy. Flavorwire: 10 Memorable One-Actor Movies

Cineplex: Flying solo: Top 5 movies with mostly one actor

I'm hard pressed to think of any examples on my own, apart from the usual suspects. One that popped into my head trying to do so is Spider (2002, Ralph Fiennes), a grim, depressing film about abuse and mental illness. It's definitely not a film with only one actor. It has plenty of characters and plenty of dialogue. Still, it is about an MC who is seemingly trapped within his own mind, isolated from those around him thanks to (apparently?) said abuse and psychological trauma sustained as a child.

There was another thread about one-actor films not long ago. It might be helpful to look at that, too, if you can find it.

Last edited:
A couple that have only one actor for the majority of the film, but have a few others at the beginning and end, that come to mind are Cast Away, and Into the Wild

Back