• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Updated Directors Reel

Yesterday I received help from a few awesome forum members regarding my Directors Reel. So I changed some things, added more clips, etc. This is the updated version. Please give me all the feedback you can! Also, if anybody might know where I might submit this Reel, that'd be just as helpful. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QjlJiAqEA

Who is your target audience for this Reel? What do you hope to gain from them with this Reel?

As a camera operator's reel, this format (showing shots for composition, focus, exposure, camera movement) would be a good sell... but if you want to show your directing ability, I need to see the results of you directing rather than just shot selection. I want to see full scenes -- the best ones you have where you got your actors to "go there" and the camera work and set design works the best. I want to see your hand on the screen (not literally) to see that if I, as a producer, were to hire you and give you a budget, I'd get an end product I could market.

Oh, and that requires losing the music so I can hear the production as it's all part of the directing process, the set design, the acting, the editing and the FX that are done. The director's strongest power is VETO... ask for another take, have something moved on set to make a stronger composition... I want to see and hear that happen when I consider giving you money or trust to make a production for me.

So, I should provide clips from the films I've made, as well as the "behind the scenes" clips? I don't have many of the latter, but I can definitely make a Reel that showcases each film I've directed. My goal is to send the Reel around to anyone looking for help with a project, whether it's Indie or Professional, so that I can gain experience and grow my resume.

No BTS, just the results as this is all that matters when the end product comes out. I want to hear the actors delivering lines (specifically which ones you've chosen during editing -- and how you were able to have the actors deliver them on the day). As a director, you make choices throughout every stage of the production... I want to see the results of those choices if I'm going to invest in you.

That gives a much better view of your choices as director.

On the last card with your contact information, have it stop the scroll so your name and contact info remain for whomever is watching to make it easier for them to get hold of you.

You may want to spend some time on the sound edit of the clips as well making sure it is as strong as it can possibly be. Although having only used the onboard mic on the camera, it'll be difficult to get really "great" sound... you can get rid of some of the issues by covering edits with overlapping sound and piecing together room tone from the dead parts of the clips you have to help smooth places where you may need to dip out between dialog pieces. Specifically, the laughter between shots come as hard cuts in "crazies"... making sure they carry over the edit will give a less jarring transition from one shot to the other and allow the viewer to concentrate on the story rather than the audio (in so much as they can given the strong room echo).

Since you're using this as a show piece, you may want to get your actors in for some ADR sessions to get the audio pristine.

Thanks, and I will probably go in and try some sound edits. But, quality of sound aside, if you were looking to hire a Director for a project, how high would my demo rank on your list?

Fairly low at this point... but as you said, you don't have a lot of productions under your belt. That shows in your reel due to the fact that we see the same actors in the productions and are made with fundamentally the same location/ style. That said, you did show comedy, action and some dialog... which at this point is a broad range of different scenarios for you. More productions will allow you to show the scope of your abilities better. Try to get different genres and looks to your productions all the while increasing your production values.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. And I really believe that as I expand my productions, my quality will increase dramatically. Would you say, just by watching what I've posted, that there is potential for growth?

yes. There are good choices being made. looking at more of the image, set, makeup, costume, you should be able to make quantum leaps in your images... the acting you're getting out of your actors is not bad for this level... you may want to get more takes at various "levels" of reaction so you have more choices in the edit and can really fine tune the action/reaction balance to build even funnier/more suspenseful pieces out of them.

Back