Help with Audio

I have a Canon EOS 70D DSLR. I use a RODE VideoMic Pro or RODE NTG-2 shotgun mic. Both of which I input directly into the Canon's 3.5mm input. I am not sure if there is something that I am doing wrong because I continue to get just awful static-like feedback noise in all of my shots. I feel like I am doing something wrong because the equipment being used is fairly good equipment, yet the sound is very disappointing. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have been doing some research and many recommend using a double-system setup. I am wondering if this will make a considerable difference in the quality of audio I get. I am looking at the Tascam DR-60D portable recorder. Would this be a helpful solution to this problem I am experiencing? I would really appreciate any help or insight.

First off - assuming that you are using a "Y" cable of some sort - your mics have two different impedences. Unless you have an impedance matcher on the NTG-2 you've got real problems right there. Also, if you are using a "Y" cable of some sort, are you sure that the two inputs are indeed a left and right input? And are you sure that the male input end is indeed a TRS? Oh, and different battery levels will mean that they are sending different voltages down the same signal path.

All that said, your mics will have wildly different output levels, not to mention that fact that you have absolutely no control over these levels. And one more thing... using a DSLR you are NOT hearing what is being recorded, only what is hitting the mic preamps (such as they are :tongue:).

From a technical standpoint going second/separate system for your produciton audio will improve your sound. You will have more control over the levels of the mic preamps and better control over the signal that hits the AD convertors. You will also hear the audio that is actually being recorded. You would get the DR-60D or something similar and plug the NTG-2 into it. (BTW, if you can trade in the NTG-2 for an NTG-1 or an Audio Technica AT875 you'll be doing yourself a favor; the NTG-2 has notoriously low output levels.) Put the RVM on the camera to improve the quality of your sync track.

From a skills point of view, the real improvement in your production sound will occur when someone competent is "swinging" the boom. This will vastly improve your signal-to-noise ratios and give you better sounding dialog.

Last edited:

First of all, thank you so much for all your information. Second, I am sorry the way I worded my original post is confusing. Up until this point, I have been using the NTG-2 OR the VideoMic. The VideoMic I plug its 3.5mm cord into the DSLR directly and thats it. The NTG-2 I run the XLR to a XLR-3.5mm adapter and then also directly plug that into the DSLR. I have never used both mics at the same time.

I really appreciate your advice and I think I am going to invest in the DR-60D to do a double-system setup. I would like to learn more about how to properly operate such a device to get the best quality sound, if you have any recommendations on where I can read more about this or watch tutorials I would be incredibly thankful.

Once again, thanks so much for your time and help!!

First of all, thank you so much for all your information. Second, I am sorry the way I worded my original post is confusing. Up until this point, I have been using the NTG-2 OR the VideoMic. The VideoMic I plug its 3.5mm cord into the DSLR directly and thats it. The NTG-2 I run the XLR to a XLR-3.5mm adapter and then also directly plug that into the DSLR. I have never used both mics at the same time.

I really appreciate your advice and I think I am going to invest in the DR-60D to do a double-system setup. I would like to learn more about how to properly operate such a device to get the best quality sound, if you have any recommendations on where I can read more about this or watch tutorials I would be incredibly thankful.

Once again, thanks so much for your time and help!!

Yes, get the DR-60D. I recently got it, and I love it. It's a great price. The 70-D is supposedly better. But the 60-D is priced beautifully right now. There's also a headphone out jack, so you can listen to the audio being recorded, as Alcove mentioned.

I don't know why you're getting the static. I've recorded directly into a canon T2i after installing magic lantern with a 3.5 jack, and it's pretty usable I think. Again, it's no good, by professional standards, but I thought it was decent.

Static can be caused by a number of things individually or in combination:

- Low battery voltage in the mics and/or camera

- Bad cable(s)

- Bad connectors (the ends of cables or device input/output)

- Bad connections (between connectors - don't fit 100% properly, dirt, etc.)

- Overloading the AD/DA convertors

- Overloading the mic preamps (too hot a signal going in)

- Overdriving the mic preamps (pushing the out levels/gain too hard)

Have fun trouble-shooting; that's how you learn!

Being a boom-op is a really tough job. That's the one "professional" every production should have.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what else you do, GET THE SOUND RIGHT!!!

Back