What lenses for shooting film on a M4/3?

I am using a Panasonic GH3, currently with a Leica 25mm f/1.4 lens, and I am looking to buy a new lens for shooting film. I am curious as to what lenses are typically used to shoot film?

I am quite eager to achieve a shallow depth of field, would this be easier using a wide angle lens with wide aperture, or a long lens?

If you have any suggestions for lenses that would be great!

Last edited:
A long lens with a big aperture will have the shallowest depth of field. I recently got a cheap Nikon to MFT lens turbo, which reduces crop factor and increases aperture. If you need shallow dof, you could get something similar.

A long lens with a big aperture will have the shallowest depth of field. I recently got a cheap Nikon to MFT lens turbo, which reduces crop factor and increases aperture. If you need shallow dof, you could get something similar.

Thanks! Is the 'nikon to mft lens turbo' an adapter for nikon lenses on M4/3 Systems? Would you recommend nikon then, and if so, what sort of length?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, it adapts nikon F lens to MFT. I don't have enough experience to recommend anything authoritatively. The "Lens Turbo" is a cheaper copy of the Speed Booster, so if you're going for optical quality don't get the lens turbo.

There are three reasons I chose Nikon, but again I'm not super experienced. First, Nikon has a relatively long flange distance, which means it's easier to adapt to other systems. Second, Nikon has used the same mount for a long time, which makes it easier to find old, used lenses (I'm a writer, not a cinematographer, so cheap is better for me!). Third, I've found a lot of Nikon lenses with manual aperture rings, which is crucial since many adapters don't have electronics.

Speaking of manual, many MFT lenses I've seen have focus by wire, which means good autofocus but renders focus pulling almost impossible.

As far as lengths, it depends on the project. My next film will be almost exclusively filmed in my garage with low lighting, so I'm looking for something around 20mm. My last project I wanted extremely high shots and the only place to get them was a parking garage 50m away, so I needed something around 300mm.

Back