• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Kickstarter Campaign Needs Help!!

Hi,

I'm new to this site, but am looking for some help with my Kickstarter campaign. My Director and I only have two weeks left to reach our funding goal; I would love some thoughts/advice on how we can get more views of our campaign. Please check out our campaign (link below) and feel free to lend some thoughts and/or share the link with others:

http://kck.st/1fSahWs

Thanks everyone in advance for the help and keep writing, directing and producing great projects!

Jason

I think the problem lies in your rewards... they're actually pretty reasonable up until the $1500 pledges. Why would someone spend so much on unknown actor/filmmaker autographs and a special thanks in an unknown movie? And, the next tier up cost an extra $3500 to get the same stuff, only you get to go to a premiere?

I think a good idea would be to remove the last two tiers and absorb those rewards into the $1500 tier, then make a $5000 pledge that would name the backer as an actual producer, not an associate producer. (looks better on a resume)

It might also be a good idea to come up with some more merchandising ideas than soundtrack and T-shirts. Are there any noteworthy props in your film that you won't be needing when production is complete?

How does the main character skip ahead in time? Is there a time machine? Make some extras and use those as merchandise for KS backers. What is used to cure these future diseases in the film? Are there medicine bottles, or some cool sci-fi tech like a tricorder? These can also be given to KS backers as "collector's items." Any filmmaker would love to get their hands on some cool props for their own films, so that might make them more likely to donate. Plus, there are a lot of people out there who like to collect weird stuff.

You should also take a look at more successful campaigns (specifically in the cases of people who didn't already have a large following) and ask yourself what made these so successful? And the answer usually lies with the rewards

I think the absolutely horrible green screen more or less hurt your campaign especially as you're making a Sci-Fi film. It's not that the director must be good at green screening , of course this sounds silly , but it makes you look somewhat amateur.

I'm afraid Nikola has a good point.

Plus not the best audio.
Saving the most interesting part for last is also an attention killer.
(Not to say: talking heads are boring. So the 'trailer' should have started earlier.)

Horrible font in the end.
I'm not a graphic designer, but good graphic design makes things so much better looking.

We have a large thread of this forum about crowdfunding: very educational, although it doesn't tell you the perfect formula.

One question:
what did you do to reach out to the audience?

I'm afraid Nikola has a good point.

Plus not the best audio.
Saving the most interesting part for last is also an attention killer.
(Not to say: talking heads are boring. So the 'trailer' should have started earlier.)

Horrible font in the end.
I'm not a graphic designer, but good graphic design makes things so much better looking.

We have a large thread of this forum about crowdfunding: very educational, although it doesn't tell you the perfect formula.

One question:
what did you do to reach out to the audience?

(I have to keep it short: work to do!)

The poor green screen, font choice, and some of the awards really hurt the campaign.

A short film/trailer to go along with the video would nice too. It's a bit boring just hearing two guys go on and on, talking, which seems to be a large majority of campaigns. Or perhaps you could start off talking about previous work you have done, and showing small clips of those films. Basically, nice visuals and/or audio so that attention will be immediately grabbed.

Yeah, sitting and talking to the camera really only works for people who are already successful and have an audience. Don't treat yourself like those people. You need to give potential backers a reason to believe in your film. That means you don't overestimate yourself, you underestimate.

Potential backers will be asking:
"Why should I donate to this movie if I don't know if it'll be good?"

Also, the log line is way too formulaic. You're trying too hard to be vague, hoping that it will work like a hook, when it really doesn't.

While skipping ahead in time, a scientist discovers future cures to diseases, but suffers the most incurable disease of all - regret.

Your atmosphere has promise, but your atmosphere isn't the story. What happens that he would regret. Vaguery and intrigue are two entirely disparate forces, and right now you're leaning towards the wrong one.

Lots of social media/email blasts, contacting talent we've working with over the years directly, reaching out to extended family members, etc.

From what I see, you're sh*t out of luck.

You're at the tail end of your crowd funding campaign. You're less than 10% of the way to attaining your goals. People now are most likely to see that and pass on supporting your project even if they want to donate. Reason: It looks like you won't hit your goal so why waste my time in donating?

Your rewards are all over the place. There is a sweet spot of $30, though the rewards that you have don't seem to deliver enough value to the supporter to encourage them to support you. Most people aren't willing to donate a significant amount of money unless they already know you. Jumping from $1 to $25 is an error in my opinion. You should have had a VOD download for $10.

The opening frame of your video is not appealing. I had no desire to press play.

Last, but not least. I don't feel that you were honest in your reach. You shot for $40k as your goal. It sounds like you aimed for what you needed, rather than what you could realistically reach. You would have been better off starting with a lower initial goal and having stretch goals.

Lots of social media/email blasts, contacting talent we've working with over the years directly, reaching out to extended family members, etc.

I can't say what's in the 'etc', but it looks like you forgot (local/regional/national) press and maybe some SF-fora where you should have been present before launching the campaign.
(But with the same video it wouldn't made you reach your goal, I think...)

Back