• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Outdoor Lighting FANTASY film

Hey!

I will be shooting the first part to a music video/short film project soon. I have shot many music videos and a few short films though this coming shoot is going to require a few things I haven't really done before.
We will be shooting mostly in the woods, one scene by the water and another up on the edge of a cliff. We are trying to create a fantasy look, making seem as though it is another world (characters will be a Medieval knight, a group of native indians and a young girl that will represent a faery).
The look we want is a mix between the cinematography of Malick's The Tree of Life and The New World... and Lars Von Trier's stylized look in Antichrist.

What is a list of equipment that I absolutely NEED to shoot with natural light outdoors in the woods?
It will be shot on the Sony Fs700 with a series of Zeiss Compact Prime lenses. No generator on set so it has to be natural.

Any help with tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Diffusion, reflectors, filters, etc.etc.etc.

THANKS

Diffuse, diffuse, OMG diffuse.

Bring a few soft reflectors and a decent amount of really wide diffusion and you should be able to get pretty far along where you're going.

Yeah diffusion is what I need. Anybody have special techniques for diffusing harsh sun light? Misty mornings are a rare occasion apparently, where we are going to be filming.
Any idea how I could create some haze without an actual fogger?
Thanks guys

Big gennies and a few HMIs and some fog machines. Whole bunch of silks.

But, without power? Reflectors, mirror rigs, silks, etc.

Haze without a fogger is going to be damn near impossible outside in the woods.

Back