• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony NEX-VG10

My company is getting a video division up and running. We shoot on DSLR cameras because we like how the footage pushed through the EF lenses look. However, we know that there are drawbacks to them too, that being the issue of overheating and limited record time. Therefore we're looking to get a camcorder for a wide shot. We have been eyeing the Sony NEX-VG10 and have thus far seen some pretty good demonstrations that are leading us to believe this would be a good model for us to get when we need to rely on the safety angle.

Anyone else have input on experience with the NEX-VG10?

The lack of 24p on the NEX-VG10 would be a deal breaker for me, but depending on your usage that may be a non-issue.

However, we know that there are drawbacks to them too, that being the issue of overheating and limited record time.

I shoot on a Panasonic GH2 which has neither of those issues.

60i provides more video data. When performing artistic shots that may require a slow motion effect, it looks better when put into Motion rather than trying the same thing shot at 24.

60i provides more video data. When performing artistic shots that may require a slow motion effect, it looks better when put into Motion rather than trying the same thing shot at 24.

You should only shoot 60i on the specific shots you want in slow motion, and shoot at 24p all the other shots.

My company is getting a video division up and running. We shoot on DSLR cameras because we like how the footage pushed through the EF lenses look. However, we know that there are drawbacks to them too, that being the issue of overheating and limited record time. Therefore we're looking to get a camcorder for a wide shot. We have been eyeing the Sony NEX-VG10 and have thus far seen some pretty good demonstrations that are leading us to believe this would be a good model for us to get when we need to rely on the safety angle.

Anyone else have input on experience with the NEX-VG10?

I have a VG10 and am happy.

In terms of shooting, there is a little aliasing and moire but it's all manageable in the usual ways. Why buy it over a 5D? Well, if you want eyelash from eyelid DoF separation, a 5D's better. If you want a larger sensor, buy a 5D. If it has to be 24fps and that's it - well, buy a 5D.

So why did I buy it? Well, I wanted a quality movie camera on a low budget which I can shoot with straight out of the box and get the results I want. Sure, there's a little moire and aliasing that I have to work around but it gives me DoF, strong enough manual control, good low light, decent sized sensor, change of lenses etc... The 'bonus' stuff which is better than a 5D is I can actually focus properly using the viewfinder, I prefer the ergonomics which makes it easier to shoot in all kinds of situations, sound is clearly better (even usable for filming in the right circumstances) and the camcorder software's better. Naturally, the much longer shooting times, lack of overheating etc... are handier.

I prefer it to the 7D for some of the same reasons.

I can convert to 23.98 in the twinkling of an eye so I don't need to shoot directly. However, it's a personal choice and for me was pretty easy.

on the 60i vs 24p.

my canon viax hfs100 would shot 24p in the 60i wrapper. Conversion to 24p via cineform looked great, and I still think it has better motion then the GH2 or T2i I have now.

Back