• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting Music Videos....

Hi guys,

i read a thread in the editing forum for a guy who had shot a music video using a very similar technique to what i have used in the past (i am still learning and always wanting to improve).

The guy shot the music video from 5 different angles then was going to cut and edit the final movie from all five angles, something i would have done also.

However Cracker Funk namely said it wasn't the way he would go about it... but never explained his way! haha

so i'm just intrigued from other people who have shot music videos, whats your general method of practice?

It depends on whether you mean, by music video, a performance video.

I think the standard way of shooting a performance video is to divide it into sections and shoot them using different techniques and that will give you the variety. Obviously there should be some overlap for the sake of flexibility. From what I know, it is rare to shoot with multiple cameras for a performance video (if that's what you meant by 5 different angles)...

How cute, i think that guy you're talking about is me.

Running the whole track through a load of times is the best option, if you're shooting the band it's going to be hard as hell to do anything but full takes.

Don't listen to the funk! Cracker is a noob! Avatar's his favourite film?!?! He can speak Na'vi?!?! etc etc

haha....

basically if shooting the band in the past i have done a full band shot (full song), the individual shots of all the members (full songs)

so in total you would normally have about 5-6 individual tracks, you edit and cut together?

and yes, it was you nathan :D
where abouts do you live in the UK?

Absolution Films, I have won a Telly and a Videographer's Award of Distinction for music video. Believe me, I m not bragging, just relating that that some professionals in that field thought my work was okay, maybe worth watching and worth an award or two.

First, whether it is a live performance or a production made specifically as a music video -- always use as many cameras as possible. I always used between 3 and 5 DVcam pro 3-chip cameras. All set up on tripods and under my control. I would do close-ups and cutaways later after the main footage was shot. If you are telling a story (and are shooting a story) within live performance footage -- you have much more leeway in the production when editing. If you are just shooting a story -- treat it as a 'movie' with script polished and ready to roll.
The music is always central. Shot footage -- the more in quality and quantity; the better. Editing is what makes a great video when you deal properly with pace, angle and treatment. Not trying to give self promotion here, but I have several examples at my web site -- The Journey was shot live, Fell Out was shot live with a controlled area and some story creation, Nightlight was exclusive story creation based upon the music and the performers and November was music I wrote and recorded at a studio in 1975 then put to footage shot in Washington D.C. at a rally I was a part of.

Watch the videos, keep in mind I kept the files small so they would download easily and quickly. If you want to know how I did something specific -- E-mail me and I would be happy to tell you how I did what I did. These were all done back in 2002-2004 when I was doing music video work for local bands and performance artists... for free.

Make something, make something good...

@don patterson: When you say you shoot on 3+ cameras, you mean you have all of them rolling during the performance?

I'm curious about this because from what I've read (and I reiterate that I've only read, not one) the standard is to shoot with one camera and then rinse and repeat where applicable...

Hey Don,

Thank you for your imput, and believe me you didnt come across as bragging or anything, and its just a great to get some advice off of someone who is very good at it!
As i say im never happy with what ive done and am always trying to improve and learn more.

I will have a look at your videos now....

Basically i have 3 videos coming up.... 2 story included with live footage and 1 purely a live set up.

nickclapper, 3+ cameras are rolling during the performance. I always have a good idea what the performers are going to do during the performance - be prepared. Know your equipment. I never go on any shoot with one camera or just two. Never. Ever... Always with tripods and a wide array of lighting and top mics/audio equipment. I also know (when shooting) exactly what the editor will do with the footage -- I am that editor as well...

Bottom line is -- it is about the music.

Making the music sound as good as possible and enhancing such with the best visuals possible. The hardest thing to do at times is to make the performers look like a million bucks -- either through shock to beauty -- and glue that music in your head through your imagery. I know I have done my job if someone enjoys the music and watches the video again and again...

This is my two cents and I am not rich, famous or want to be -- I just have fun making stuff... hope this helps.

It all depends on the situation...

I think it's always nice to shoot on multiple cameras when you can. It's not as easy as just one camera in a lot of ways though. You need to make sure lighting looks the same for both cameras , make sure cameras match, move crew/props/gear out of shot for each camera etc...

If you're shooting in a big field with just daylight, use all the cameras you want. If you have the entire band crammed in a closet, you can probably only fit one camera.

There's no blanket rule. It depends on each production, scene and shot. Sometimes multiple cams are better, sometimes not. Keep in mind that every camera you add lengthens setup, but can potentially lower the number of takes you need.

As far as 5 or 6 playthroughs, try 30 or 40 haha. You need a closeup, medium and wide of each person in the band, perferably a few of each, then triple that for the singer. Also, some videos mix two or three locations, that ups your shot count. Make sure they're all playing to a clicktrack or metronome so it all syncs up. And you don't have to do intro-outro every take. You can have them just repeat the chorus over and over or whatever you need.

Keep in mind that music videos that only feature the band playing are among the most boring. You need a story and potentially actors (outside of the band) to cut it all together right.

Hope it helps!

PaulGriffith, you are basically correct in your above comments.

But if you know what is planned before the cameras (to be shot) by talking, taking notes from performers and knowing locations, if you know your equipment, understand how to get the most from lighting and audio -- production can move very fast. Journey was shot (with only fill lighting) in 3 hours. Fell Out was shot in 3 1/2 hours. Nightlight in about 3 hours and the footage from November was with one camera and totally guerilla. Editing for all was pretty fast, less then a leisurely day in front of the screens.

I like all aspects of movie making so I do not consider any time spent on a project as a chore -- just a challenge; to get the best I can do on file.

A performance video (or the performance section of a mixed narrative/performance video), I might use multiple cameras. For the narrative part, I'd shoot one camera just as I would making a narrative film. The extra setup time for multiple cameras takes away all the advantage of getting the multiple angles at once.

Back