• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camera advice

Hey forum, Just needing some advice on a camera to purchase.
I'm looking for one that will give off the best 'home video' look but also has a good built in mic as i cannot afford a mic boom.
Also, im an unemployed teenager so cost is an issue ;)
thanks x

So am i allowed to make the thread in that section?

I think David was suggesting you search the forums for previous threads, there are loads of really useful resources on choosing a camera :)

I'm curious - why are you trying to achieve a home video look? Most people seem to spend a fortune avoiding it as much as possible…

I think David was suggesting you search the forums for previous threads, there are loads of really useful resources on choosing a camera :)

I'm curious - why are you trying to achieve a home video look? Most people seem to spend a fortune avoiding it as much as possible…

Oh okay thanks, ill have a search in a minute :)

And basically it will go well with the feel of the 'movie'..... Its basically me and friends just winging a film, it just wouldn't look right in good HD. We're filming it ourselves are we are VERY new to this.... so it will go well with the amateur feel to things, including the amateur production. :)
(sorry if i didnt quite get my point across :') )

No camcorder is going to have a good enough mic. And I think if you're going to take advantage of the 'amateur' look, you're going to NEED decent sound to sell it. I know it sounds backwards, but if the sound is bad, people will be taken out of what you are filming and just not be able to watch it, rather than sticking with it and saying 'oh wow, look what they pulled off with their [insert camera here]!'

So I would say pick up a used miniDV camera from eBay and spend the money you would have spent on a camera and buy a shotgun mic and juicedlink or beachtek adapter or the like to plug it into your camera.

btw, by no means am I saying that you should't film anything just because you don't have the sound equipment. The most important thing is to get out there and make stuff!

Sure that was audible. But if I'm being completely honest, I would not watch an entire film with that sound quality. I'd maybe sit through 10-15 minutes of it if I knew the person who made it or if the story and acting were that good.

If you're looking at a project like Blair Witch, which was, as we all know, super successful and filmed on what looks to be a horrible vhs camcorder at times (I understand it was 16mm and Hi8?), they did not skimp on sound. If the sound quality was not what it was, that movie would not have sold.

A previous poster mentioned something like 350,000 dollars was spent on fixing the film in post production, and 100,000 of that was on sound.

Again, @OP, I'm not discouraging you from getting your camera and making you film! It's just something to keep in mind.

dready has a point. you might consider making it look amateur but not sound amateur so as to have that proish, amateurish feel to the movie. Even in movies where the actors are viewing something from a video, the audio is still superb. Watch 50 first dates again and see what I mean.

No camcorder is going to have a good enough mic. And I think if you're going to take advantage of the 'amateur' look, you're going to NEED decent sound to sell it. I know it sounds backwards, but if the sound is bad, people will be taken out of what you are filming and just not be able to watch it, rather than sticking with it and saying 'oh wow, look what they pulled off with their [insert camera here]!'

So I would say pick up a used miniDV camera from eBay and spend the money you would have spent on a camera and buy a shotgun mic and juicedlink or beachtek adapter or the like to plug it into your camera.

btw, by no means am I saying that you should't film anything just because you don't have the sound equipment. The most important thing is to get out there and make stuff!

I like the sound of this, what would i need to buy to attach a mic to the camera? or would you say just buying a shotgun mic is easier?

I'm not an audio person, so hopefully someone will come along and make sure I'm not giving you bad info. :)

You would make sure to get a camera with a 3.5mm mic in jack. I'm not sure if this is a common feature on miniDV, but you want something that either does NOT have automatic gain control, or something where you can turn it off.

So the two things you'll need to buy will be an XLR adapter and a mic. The XLR adapter will allow you to plug the mic into the camera.
Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Juicedlink-CX21...775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e3620287
And maybe something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Rode-NTG-2-Shot...ultDomain_0&hash=item43a20371f6#ht_1182wt_905

You may be able to find them a bit cheaper if you search more.

So am i allowed to make the thread in that section?

Sorry dude, but Chili nails it - there's a whole host of info already on the boards. I was just trying to answer your question in the most efficient way possible.

You are, naturally, "allowed" to start a thread anywhere (nor do I have any say in the matter, lol) and I'm certain that after a bit of reading you'll have specific questions for the projects you have in mind that many folks will be happy to answer. ;)

You have to admit, it's a very, very common question. :D I now return you to your thread, already in progress. :lol:

i second the the sound suggestion.

the home movie look is fine but the sound needs to professional and clear. even it is just diagetic sound of u guys talking and cars passing by.

think cloverfield.

I'm just going to say that if you're buying a MiniDV, XLR Adapter and Shotgun Mic, you're going to be spending $700+ and if you're spending that sort of money then it kind of defeats the point of deliberately buying amateurish equipment.

It depends what you actually want. If you're looking for the home video style then you needn't take audio too seriously at the moment. And if you're willing to spend $700+ then you should consider investing in a better camera...

http://www.indietalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=142887

It is my strong opinion that it is best for you to learn this craft using a piece of equipment that will more closely model the functions of the more expensive equipment that you will eventually graduate to. For that reason, I highly implore you not to buy a fucking flip-cam, just because it's HD, and within your $200 budget (no disrespect, goobs, I just feel really strongly that someone should have control over their video).

Here's what I think you should practice your skills with:

Manual exposure (and it should be easily accessible, like a little dial, or incremental button)
Manual white-balance
Manual focus, WITH A FOCUS RING
External audio input

You can get all of those features, if you shop diligently, on a really inexpensive used mini-DV camcorder. Ebay is your friend.

Back