Prop guns in a shoot

I have a shoot tomorrow. It's set in World War II, and the main characters are all soldiers. They never use their guns, they gun have them strapped to their packs. I'm filming in a public park. I didn't think this would be trouble until someone pointed out that because it's a public place, I could get in trouble for just having the guns in the shoot, a worried parent could call police, ect. I considered sending a note to the police, but I'm a bit worried that it would just make them more suspicious. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? How can I prevent trouble?

You're supposed to alert the police so they don't shoot you.
When you alert them, the police will want to know if you have a permit to film.

In this stage it is probably too late to get a permit from the police.

What i would do is to make it obvious that you are shooting a film. Worst case scenario you will have to apologize, nothing more.

I would definitely notify the police and get the name of the officer. Just say that you will be shooting on whatever date and time and maybe ask about hiring a police officer for crowd control. If the officer said you can't shoot or asks about a permit, ask him where you can get one quickly. If you can't. I wouldn't do it. With the terrorist threat, too many police and others are trigger happy.
Not knowing where your shooting, could not advise further. Check with local indies regarding what they do.

My other option is just to take the guns out of the shoot entirely. It's not essential to the plot, and while it would be better with, I don't think it would be too bad as long as the audience can recognize the characters as soldiers.

it all depends on where you are, how big your production is...

if your a small crew and some of you look like students or you present your self as hobyists, you could probably get a pass from the government body managing the park. City Parks department. Then you call the sheriff, local police etc and tell the the park department gave you permission to do this thing and you wanted to let the local authorities know.

ASK, ASK, ASK.

Get a bunch of your friends to stand around in high-via vests saying 'film crew' on them. Get a few walkie talkies etc... and make it as big as possible so no-one shoots you. No idea what it's like over your side of the pond but over here, the police have been moved up to the maximum terrorist rating meaning I wouldn't want to walk around London with an orange water pistol let alone a fake firearm.

Alternatively, being shot at by the police would make the shooting sequences more realistic...

Although I live in England, I always contact the local police well ahead of time to inform them of dates, times, locations and types of firearms being used. Be sure also to sign post the fact you are shooting in a public place and let local residents know.

Back