Need a Microphone for filming in a Noisy Rec Center

Hey guys! I work as a Videographer for a recreation center here in my home town. I need a microphone (or two different microphones) that is great at interviews as well as staged acting from 2-4 people.

The issue I'm coming across is that rec centers are VERY noisy inside, especially the one I work at. There is a ton of reverb and a ton of background noise. I need something I can hold out of frame and still pick up great sound and vocals. I also have a budget of about $100-$200 per microphone (preferably I can find one versatile mic). I know that's cheap but I also know that there is some good gear out there that doesn't cost loads of money.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!

No mic may be able to cancel out background noise to an acceptable level. Unless you don't mind showing the mic being held right up to the person's mouth, it's going to be tough. Could you possible shoot the interview in a quiet place, or make other arrangements?

Hey guys! I work as a Videographer for a recreation center here in my home town. I need a microphone (or two different microphones) that is great at interviews as well as staged acting from 2-4 people.

As I read this my understanding is you want to pick up the voices of two to four people on a stage; will anybody be handling the mic or will it be static? If static, will it be on/over the stage, or will it be mounted on the camera or someplace else? How big is the stage?

I need something I can hold out of frame and still pick up great sound and vocals.

How far out of frame? As distance increases from the sound source the ambient noise will increase as well. So the further from the sound source the more background noise you will pick up - you can't change the laws of physics!!!

I also have a budget of about $100-$200 per microphone (preferably I can find one versatile mic). I know that's cheap but I also know that there is some good gear out there that doesn't cost loads of money.

What audio gear do you have available to you if any? Are you using an external audio recorder or plugging directly into the camera? If you are plugging directly into the camera what type of audio inputs does it have? Will someone besides the camera operator be conducting the interviews?

Mics are just like the tools in your tool box, they all have specific applications; some are good for interviews, some are good for recording singers live, others for studio work.

So please answer our/my questions and any other pertinent details that may apply.

That's a tough ask. Without knowing more details as AA has mentioned it's hard to give advice that is guaranteed to work. If you are having to record actors that are moving round but you can't get in close, or interview more than one person at a time where you can't get in close, as well as mics on a boom or lavalier mics you may want to consider the possibility of boundary mics hidden from view in props close to the voices as an additional option.

The issue I'm coming across is that rec centers are VERY noisy inside, especially the one I work at. There is a ton of reverb and a ton of background noise. I need something I can hold out of frame and still pick up great sound and vocals. I also have a budget of about $100-$200 per microphone ...

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I'm sorry but there is no "right direction" to point you towards. What you're asking for does not currently exist (at any budget) and may never exist even in the future! However, if you are willing to compromise your requirement for "great" sound there might be some viable options, although they maybe outside your budget range, depending of course on how far you are willing to compromise. That's why you need to answer all Alcove's questions and additionally give us some sort of indication of how far you're willing to compromise from "great" sound.

G

I believe that what you are asking for is impossible but I can offer a potential solution, albeit a difficult one.

There is a short called "Lessons in Lifesaving" shot in a public swimming pool in South London. The short was shot by a talented director who hired part of the pool while it was in use. Typical short: Arri Alexa, 5D MkII for the underwater scenes, an Oscar nominated DoP (eventually), a ton of money thrown on the picture and... as little as possible on the sound. Oh, and the gaffer aged by 20 years. Something about electricity, water, cameras etc...

One version of the trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BR0L587jfE

The shot from underneath was in a water tank.

As money for sound was lacking, workarounds were necessary for a short where thousands of pounds was being spent. This involved sound which could be recorded separately, judicious use of location sound, foley, a few tricks (amazing what you can get away with) and a touch of ADR. It was all about finding solutions where as little lips to camera time was necessary and either ADR or psychological tricks were used wherever possible to make it work.

However, note that a lot of time was spent putting the sound of the swimming pool back in!

It was OK but extremely time consuming but the good part is that no 'special' mics were necessary and this will mean you do not need to spend the money. Rather, the individuals concerned simply spent a lot of time and skill trying to get it all to work.

Back