Picking My Camera

(Sorry couldn't find the right section for this but figured this was a great site to ask)

Im looking for a semi-beginners camera for fictional shooting and nature and etc. shots. For someone thats pretty novice the Black Magic CC seemed to be the right fit but now it's added costs seem like they'd add up fast. For one i have no lenses of my own so i'd need to invest there as well. Part of me thinks i should go with the Canon 5D Mark III just for its reputation. (Though it's photography frame style is off putting to me im sure i can get over it.) The price is also a little more steep but if it's as good as I've read so far it seems worth it. Can someone help push me in the right direction. Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure the canon is looking like great value for video. The black magic pocket camera is gertting released in July and looks twice the camera (as far as video goes) at a third or so of the cost. If you're after something DSLR style how about the Panasonic GH2? Much cheaper than the canon and imo gives a better picture. Again that's just for video.

The one thing I would say is don't buy the Canon because of "reputation". These days I don't think it carries a lot of cred in the video world when the Balckmagic CC and, to a lesser extent, Scarlett are almost in the same ballpark for price.

Hve you even ever used a camera? Lenses will cost you if not wife as much as the camera depending on your preference?

If your not going to be making any thing that going to be hitting the big screen for at least 2 years then why not get a t2i or t3i? Dead cheap and a good learning handle, I'm shooting my film with the t3i and with the 50mm 1.8 mkii lens

Check out the first scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sef69UoWmcc

Hi ManoTikiTia - instead of spending $3150 for a Canon 5D Mark III, I recommend you look at the $1299 Panasonic GH3. It outresolves the Canon, has an articulated LCD for high/low/reverse angle shots, has built-in wi-fi for iPhone/Android remote control & monitoring and isn't crippled with the Canon's 30 minute continuous video recording limit.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the 5D Mark III and the GH3:

http://vimeo.com/55060120

As for the Canon crop-sensor DSLRs (T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, 60D, 7D) - they are decent cameras, but I recommend against them for video because of their moire problem and because of their (12 to 30 minute) continuous video recording limit.

Here are a couple of side-by-sides between the Panasonic GH2 and the Canon 60D illustrating Canon's moire challenge:

http://vimeo.com/21962491

http://vimeo.com/20565849

To be fair, the GH3's moire performance is not as good as the GH2's - but it is not as bad as the Canons.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
I've been reading up extensively this morning on the GH3 and it sounds perfect. It's lower price will give me wiggle room for other things I may need. Which brings me to my next question, what should my first lens be with this camera? Also, is there any must have things when I go to buy this camera

I've been reading up extensively this morning on the GH3 and it sounds perfect. It's lower price will give me wiggle room for other things I may need. Which brings me to my next question, what should my first lens be with this camera? Also, is there any must have things when I go to buy this camera

Hi MTT - lens selection will depend on what look you want - and on whether you want full auto exposure and autofocus - or whether you prefer manual lenses. I'll split my recommendations into auto and manual - you can decide which best suits your shooting style.

AUTO LENSES

Best budget primes: First generation Sigma 19mm and 30mm f2.8. Great lenses for the price. If you want one, get it quickly. They are being replaced by more expensive second generation lenses.

Best all around lens: Panasonic 14-140. This is my go-to lens outdoors, but its max aperture of f4.0 can be problematic indoors or in low light situations.

Best low light zoom lenses: Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8. These lenses were made for this camera. I have shot with the 12-35 and it is fabulous. If you can afford them, these are pretty much the only two lenses you need.

If you don't need a zoom, the best auto primes are: Olympus 12mm f2.0; Panasonic 25mm f1.4; Olympus 45mm f1.8 (some people like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, but I don't like its noisy autofocus motor).

If you want power zoom for ENG or run 'n gun, the 14-42 and 45-175 PZ lenses are an option. Again, not great in low light, but capable of producing high quality images outdoors. Here is an example (please watch at 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlm569J8Rzc

MANUAL LENSES (this camera adapts to almost any lens, but I will only list prime lenses made for the GH3's micro 4/3 mount)

Best cine prime: SLR Magic 12mm T1.6. 'Declicked' (for smooth aperture changes) cinematic lens. Here is what this lens (and its big brother, the SLR Magic Noktor 50mm f0.95) can do (please watch at 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBJ5Q1FdaU

Best low light primes: Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm and 25mm f0.95. These are unbelievable, high quality low light manual lenses. Again, if you can afford them, these are the only two low light lenses you will need.

Here is the GH3 with the Nokton 25mm (please watch at 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4UNjD1Ardk

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful list of suggestions buddy!

As someone that didn't even know where to start, I can finally figure out what's the best move for me. I will be shooting mostly nature and structural objects to begin with then push forward to shooting in a cinema style.

Would it be a good idea to pay that extra dime to get the Voigtlander as my first lens ever? I love the picture it gives out so much.

UPDATE: More and more I keep coming back to the idea of starting with the Sigma 19 or 30. Start cheap and work my way up. Which would you suggest?

Last edited:
Unless you're networked with people who have audio and lighting equipment, that's not all you need. I suppose if your only goal is to learn how to use a camera, then yeah, you can get by without having any audio equipment.

But if you want to make movies that people are going to watch, you simply can't devote all of your budget to camera/lens/memory. As a bare minimum, you'll also need a tripod, a cheap light kit (and you can really go cheap, DIY for $100-200), a shotgun mic and a nice set of headphones (and depending on which camera you choose, you might need an external audio recorder). If you're going ghetto style, you can get away with using a broomstick as a boom-pole.

In your price-range, I think both the GH_ and T_i series' would be a good fit. Those are solid cameras, and you'd have plenty of room for purchasing lenses and all the wonderful accessories that you ARE going to want.

And unless you're anxious, or have some legitimate reason why you need the camera right now, I think it'd be a good idea to wait until the Black Magic Pocket Camera is released (and reviewed). I think what Black Magic is doing is really exciting, and you gotta keep in mind that they're making cameras with you and me in mind. Canon and Panasonic are making photography cameras. Black Magic is making video cameras.

Back