Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Film Biz

6/14 Update: We will be back asap. Posting is disabled until further notice.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018, 04:03 AM   #1
Inarius
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Israel
Posts: 596
Should I remove laptop brand logos in short film?

Hi everybody. I've shot a short film. Before shooting it, my producer assured me that I don't have to worry about logos and brands popping up in my short film. However, after shooting it and editing it, my Editor told me that he might be correct if the logo was popping up here and there. The situation is that it pops A LOT. Like 20-25 times in the film, which is 9 min length. The film is one location, so we see from this camera angle a lot. I'm talking about the "Lenovo" logo on the laptop, as on this screenshot:


Screenshot

I intend to submit this film to festivals. The question is, how important it is to remove the logo?
I know it's safer if I do, but doing it costs a lot of money, because it shows up a lot during the film.
So my question is do I NEED to remove that logo?

I'd really appreciate your help, the question really bothers me.
Thank you
Inarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator
 
mlesemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 2,020
In general, my understanding is that you don't need to given that you're not focusing on it, and aren't being derogatory about it. It's "popping up" in the normal course of doing wheat it is designed to do, and that's OK.

But yeah, next time I'd suggest covering it in advance so this isn't an issue.
__________________
www.maralesemann.com
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Inarius
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Israel
Posts: 596
Thank you very much, yet I'm still concerned. Can a festival decline a film because of many logos or because of the same logo seen many times? 41 times (I've just counted) in a 9 min film, that 4-5 times per minute in average
Inarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator
 
mlesemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 2,020
A festival can decline a film for any reason, or no reason at all. That's not helpful, I know, but there's no real answer to this question.

You can leave it as is, re-edit it to reduce the number of times it appears, or spend the money to cover all or some of the times. Either way, it's a crap shoot. But it all is
__________________
www.maralesemann.com
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Scoopicman
Premiere Member
 
Scoopicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,843
I don't know why you are worried about this for a short. Unless you are selling to a distributor for a possible big release and TV exposure. I haven't seen your shots, but I think the festivals would consider it a fair use situation, like using a car, etc. Their main concern is the use of music/songs that haven't been cleared. If I were you, I would look at the GUIDELINES for various festivals, then make a decision.

On the other hand, I did remove a laptop logo for one of my features. It is easy to do, if the shots are static (though possible to track on moving shots). Make two layers of the same shot, slide over the position of the second video, then draw a mask over the logo on the first layer. This allows a different area of the laptop (plain surface, where the logo is not) to pass through to that first layer, covering the logo.

When it comes to features and trying to get distribution deals, I avoid logos, brands, artwork, posters, etc. like the plague.
__________________
midnightsunent
Scoopicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Scoopicman
Premiere Member
 
Scoopicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
I know it's safer if I do, but doing it costs a lot of money
Not sure why you think that. I just did this in Premiere, with the CROP tool. First picture has the logo. Second picture doesn't.

__________________
midnightsunent
Scoopicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:37 AM   #7
Inarius
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Israel
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
A festival can decline a film for any reason, or no reason at all. That's not helpful, I know, but there's no real answer to this question.

You can leave it as is, re-edit it to reduce the number of times it appears, or spend the money to cover all or some of the times. Either way, it's a crap shoot. But it all is
Well, covering it in some of the times breaks the continuity, which doesn't solve the original problem, and adds a new one

Anyway, thank you, I guess I'll go to Fiverr to find a freelancer at a cheaper price
Inarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #8
Inarius
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Israel
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
Not sure why you think that. I just did this in Premiere, with the CROP tool. First picture has the logo. Second picture doesn't.

Because I have it in 41 shots in the film, where in most of the shots either the laptop or the camera are moving
Inarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:39 AM   #9
Inarius
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Israel
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
I don't know why you are worried about this for a short. Unless you are selling to a distributor for a possible big release and TV exposure. I haven't seen your shots, but I think the festivals would consider it a fair use situation, like using a car, etc. Their main concern is the use of music/songs that haven't been cleared. If I were you, I would look at the GUIDELINES for various festivals, then make a decision.

On the other hand, I did remove a laptop logo for one of my features. It is easy to do, if the shots are static (though possible to track on moving shots). Make two layers of the same shot, slide over the position of the second video, then draw a mask over the logo on the first layer. This allows a different area of the laptop (plain surface, where the logo is not) to pass through to that first layer, covering the logo.

When it comes to features and trying to get distribution deals, I avoid logos, brands, artwork, posters, etc. like the plague.
I know how to remove logos in After Effects. The thing is the camera and the laptop are moving. Need to do Camera/Motion tracking. And I have such shots 41 times. It's a lot of work
Inarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
Scoopicman
Premiere Member
 
Scoopicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,843
Like I said, this is a short I would just leave it in there.
__________________
midnightsunent
Scoopicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #11
Inarius
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Israel
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
Like I said, this is a short I would just leave it in there.
Okay then, thank you very much
Inarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
mussonman
Basic Member
 
mussonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: www.youtube.com/mussonman
Posts: 3,373
Unless you're being sponsored by a competitor, there's no reason to.
mussonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
seanmannion
Basic Member
 
seanmannion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 113
To echo what several people have said: You do not NEED to remove a logo.

I've gotten into this with a few people in my personal network. To the point I can refer people to U.S. case law on using recognizable existing products in a project. You pretty much only need to remove it if you don't want it or an advertiser/potential advertiser might be a competitor (or you'd rather have paid product placement).

Festivals are unlikely to care. Even if you could potentially get in trouble for your usage (unlikely), they don't bear any liability. Some even include language about that when you submit or when you're accepted just to cover themselves.
seanmannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,480
If it pops up "A LOT" as you say, and is as large as in your screenshot and larger, you may want to remove it, not for legal purposes but for aesthetics. It could become distracting, as in "Okay we get it! Lenovo"! or "Is this a Lenovo commercial???" This however would be a win-win because it would take care of it legally too.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #15
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 1,378
An easy fix with Adobe After Effects as long as you don't have something like somebody's stringy hair partially blocking the logo.
Whatever you do, don't ask Toshiba for permission. I've found out the hard way that companies are very anal about their trademarks. And once you ask, it can be used as evidence against you, that you knew that you needed permission.
Having said all of this, probably never in a zillion years will this ever be an issue. But it's always nice to sleep better.
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk