• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting Set-Ups

I understand the general ideas of three-point-lighting, but I find that, in most situations, it is very difficult to implement, as shots are often too wide, or in too close quarters for me to use, and not have lights in the shot. I was just wondering if anyone can explain how to implement three-point-lighting in those environments, or other lighting set ups that work in those situations (obviously using no-budget lighting equipment preferably). Also, does anyone know some general tips for lighting outdoors, as that seems to be one of the biggest issues when I'm making a film that requires outdoor scenes (shadows on the face, ect)Are there certain angles relative to the sun that I should be using and am not? Are there certain framing (cinematographic) techniques that I can use (along with maybe some cheap reflectors) that will help with outdoor filmmaking. Any advice that you have on either of these topics would be much appreciated.

Three point lighting is a basic start, not always the look needed though. Think about what you're trying to acco polish with it though. Light on the actor, light filling shadows on actor andon set, light hitting back of actor to make them pop from the background. The backlight is usually the harder one to hide in a wide shot, but you can hang it from the ceiling or from the side or in a very wide shot, may not even need it.

As far as outside, you want to find a good angle where the sun isn't straight in the camera or in the actor's eyes making them squint (unless that's the look you want). On a sunny day, you're going to have shadows. Reflectors help with that. If it's really bad, put your actors in shade. It's not just adding light, but taking it away.

In wider shots, you need bigger lights... the sun is a good light. Position your actors (or wait for the sun to be in the right place for where you've positioned them) so the sun acts as either a key or a hair light. Above the actor's shoulder and behind a bit will act as a back/hair/rim light and make the actors able to keep their eyes open... then a large reflector off camera acting as a key will bring one side's exposure up (distance between the subject and the reflector will allow you to adjust the amount of light being reflected -- inverse square law; learn it, live it, love it).

Back