• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

4k or 2k for VFX

PaulWrightyThen

IOTM Winner
Hi chums,

so I've wrapped on my short 'Fissure' and am neck deep in the edit.

Its all shot lovely 4k. Then the penny dropped. ITS 4K! So I have a lot of vfx to do for dream sequences and 'other worldlyness'. I've started tests and its going to be a slog to render out. I'm pricing up beast pc's, but say that can't happen, should I be outputting at 4k anyway? Do any film fests project 4k?

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

I'd go 2K. Right now there is no reason to make a 4K master. What you want to do is have a 2K timeline where your 4K is conformed to 2K. You'll have the resolution to repo if you desire (although I find this lazy). Point being, you'll be able to export your VFX at 2K and they'll look freaking amazing.

Just remember that although you shot at 4K, most viewers will be watching your flick at a significantly lower resolution: either streamed to a 1080 TV (where they may only be getting a slightly better than SD signal due to bandwidth), their tiny phones/tablets and possibly even DVDs which are only 480p (if you do DVDs)

I'd go 2K. Right now there is no reason to make a 4K master. What you want to do is have a 2K timeline where your 4K is conformed to 2K. You'll have the resolution to repo if you desire (although I find this lazy). Point being, you'll be able to export your VFX at 2K and they'll look freaking amazing.

Just remember that although you shot at 4K, most viewers will be watching your flick at a significantly lower resolution: either streamed to a 1080 TV (where they may only be getting a slightly better than SD signal due to bandwidth), their tiny phones/tablets and possibly even DVDs which are only 480p (if you do DVDs)

That is what was in mind, I think I just needed someone else to say it.

If your project has limited future potential, just worry about the hear and now. If your only concern is to get into film festivals and no distribution, look at the festivals you are likely to be involved in and base your decision around their deliverables lists.

If you are concerned if you do find yourself with a deal, find out what your likely deliverables will be. While I don't know either way, I've heard rumblings that Netflix is refusing to accept features that don't have a 4k master. That being said, you may be fine with an upres from your master.

A short. You did mention that. I didn't see it. My bad.

I've done a number of shorts at 4k or higher. In the end, it caused more headaches and extra unnecessary costs than it was worth.

For a short, if I was given the choice between 4k and 2k, I'd go 2k in a heartbeat.

That being said, depending on what you shot with, there can be a small benefit in doing the vfx in 4k over a smaller resolution. I doubt it'd be worth it to you. Are you doing the work yourself? If so, since it's a short, I'd work within a workflow that your current hardware can handle. That is unless you have spare cash to burn.

That also assumes your focus is directing. If it's vfx, going full on may make more sense.

Focus is directing. The vfx stuff is obviously important but I'd done a test shot and the workflow is much more manageable. Tracking the 4k stuff is no problem. Its when you start bunging particles on and junk, thats when everything starts to chug.

Have you considered processing your vfx work in batches? As in layer by layer? It was a technique in early vfx when there wasn't enough memory to perform everything that needed to be done.

By the sound of it, you might take some of the strain off with more ram. It does depend on what you're using, both hardware and software wise.

With 3d stuff I do layer passes. Gives you more control of the final image. Am using AE for camera tracking and floaty, ash particles and stuff. doing it 2k is much quicker so I'm pleased with that! :)

Back