What are some movies that influenced you?

Damnation Alley. I begged my parents to take me to it. I must have been like 5 or 6 or something. The cockroach scene scared the shit out of me, with ugly consequences in my life. So it sure made an impression.

Little Big Man. Just...almost everything a film can hope to be.

E.T. It came out when I was at an impressionable age. And because it is Spielberg movie magic.

Jaws. Like APE said. And because it really is a movie storytelling and acting tour de force.

Humanoids from the Deep. Dunno. It came out on premium cable when I was a kid and made an impression.

Empire Strikes Back. Way more so than the first one. Oh yeah. Easily. Just such a great film and an event of my childhood. Inspiring, unlike or to an extent beyond the other Star Wars films.

Silence of the Lambs. I think so. It came out when I was in college. I still remember walking back to my dorm after, thinking about it. Just an excellent, thought provoking film.

Strictly Ballroom. I love its message: "Don't live your life in fear." I only wish I had put that into practice. Basically, it's a sports movie, I guess. A nice romantic movie. What's not to like?

Alien. Because it's a near perfect movie.

Godfather. Because it's a near perfect movie. Such beautiful cinematography.

Apocalypse Now. Epic filmmaking.

It's a Wonderful Life. A film about family, friends, and the human experience. Can't think of any film that's its equal in that regard. Plus, all the Christmases etc. Is there a more romantic scene than the phone and kiss scene in all of filmdom? I don't think so.

Casablanca. Don't think that needs any explanation.

North by Northwest. The cornfield scene. Cary Grant. Nuff said.

From Hell
. Also a near perfect movie. I love the love story, even if it's unconsumated. Beautifully made and played.

Ran. There is that stretch which just drags. Would you say its in the second act? Despite that, just epic filmmaking, and clearly influential.

Saving Privat Ryan, showing what a difference sound can make.

Under the Skin, showing what kind of content can see the light day now, which I won't go into, and what can be done with a "small" film.

The Birdcage (1996), Brokeback Mountain, A Single Man, Strapped, and Weekend, all good films portraying gay men as though they are not monsters.

Game of Thrones and Spartacus. Because, wow. They show how awesome TV and the long form of filmmaking and storytelling can be.

Back