Feature vs shorts

So... I'm at a little impasse. My current situation is:

- Completing a feature doc
- Going to shoot a feature end of year
- Could also shoot a couple of shorts
- Will shoot a trailer for a documentary called 'The Billion Dollar Man.'

The bit I'm thinking about is the shorts. I have an 'OK' short which is cheap and potentially a great short which would need $3.5k USD (I could easily raise the money for this).

However, at this stage, I am unsure if shorts will genuinely add value. If anyone wants an appreciation of my skills, you can have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HALvW69uc

So what would you do? What are your thoughts? Would you continue to knock out a couple of shorts or would you simply drive on to the next step?

That is a tough question to anwser from the sideline.
If there is a short you feel you MUST make: make it.
If you think there is something you want to try, that could be an idea, a technique, style, concept: make it.

(For example: I'd like to make a short just to try some 'Bayhem'. :P
Everyone seems to bitch about Micheal Bay, I'd like to experience what it takes to create dramatic circling shots... ;) )

I think of short films as a tool. They can serve many purposes and essentially vital in an indie's success.

Things you should ask yourself,

Do you have a fan base / following that will allow the feature to have some assured value? Shorts can help find that following.

Do you have a substantial team to film a feature? If not making shorts can be a way to attract, convince, or build them. Otherwise you'll be hiring.

Lastly, shorts are a way to find a producer... But it's not a great chance either way...

If you're shooting features (and getting paid for them), unless the subject matter is a passion piece, why bother?

However, at this stage, I am unsure if shorts will genuinely add value.
What do you mean by "add value"?

Anything you make adds personal value; you learn with each project.
Anything you make adds value to your overall protfilio; shows that can
finish projects.
As of this post there are seven to nine months before the end of the year
when you will be making your feature doc so working on a project or two
will only build your skills and experience and contacts.

I know you know those things so I suspect it is I who am missing something.
So I'm curious what I'm missing in your question.

I work on films by first time feature makers every so often but mostly the films I work on are by at least second time feature makers. Virtually without exception there are relatively serious flaws/errors, not so much with the technical basics, which have often been avoided with experience/knowledge gained from shorts and a previous feature or two, but due to issues with energy and pacing and often, workflows. Again, almost without exception, this is due to failures in pre-production. Failures caused by aiming pre-production mostly/entirely at the next phase, production, rather than aiming it at the finished film. In other words, pre-production planning aimed at ending up with a hard disk full of quality scenes/takes but with only relatively vague and sketchy ideas/visualisation of how that hard disk of scenes/takes is going to then become an engaging feature. For many relatively inexperienced long form directors, post-production is therefore effectively based mainly/entirely on improvisation. It's almost like two completely independent activities, the film is finished after shooting; big party, sigh of relief, lots of back slapping. Then it's time for an entirely new, virtually unrelated project/exercise; take a hard disk full of clips and try to turn it into an engaging film. It's only after the assembly edit or first rough cut that the relatively serious flaws/error become apparent, if indeed the director is even fully aware of them, due to not being able to see the wood for the trees. Scenes/takes which worked perfectly well on paper and which were executed "good enough" (or better) when shot, now don't really work so well in context/juxtaposition with all the other good enough (or better) scenes. The pacing is off, the tensions don't build effectively, the resolutions are therefore nondescript and/or there aren't enough tension/resolution cycles. The rest of the post-production process now becomes essentially an exercise in damage limitation and the end result is at best a "meh" film, although occasionally slightly better than just "meh", if the director is particularly lucky. We should all know however, that even though one can sometimes get away with relying on luck with a short, the amount of luck needed to "get away with it" for the entire duration of a feature is extremely unlikely!

Most commonly, the difference between "meh" and engaging is not directly related to budget size, it's either more on how the time/budget has been allocated or is not related to budget all and "meh" could have been avoided by appropriate scenes being shot with a different pace, with more (or fewer) changes of pace and with more thought to the pace of how all the scenes will juxtapose. Furthermore, not only is post-production commonly left to the luck of improvisation but the improvisers are often reduced to fighting with one arm tied behind their backs. Pre-prod planning/visualisation is commonly not only so inadequate that it reduces post-prod to improvisation but so poor that even the potential opportunities which allow for good improvisation have been overlooked/eliminated!

Additionally, workflows which are usually ignored because they add more time/cost than they save when making short form projects, can and will bite you in the a$$ when making a long form project. What may have cost relatively little to implement to start with, can easily grind post-prod to an almost complete standstill with a long form feature. At best, this results in a compromised film by limiting the time to come up with a good improvisation (if the footage even allows for the opportunity of good improvisation!) or at worst, results in the film not only being seriously compromised but taking months or years longer than intended, during which time everyone, not least the director, looses interest in the fine details which make all the difference and which therefore compromises the film even further, often to the point of it being hardly worth even finishing!

If you are aiming to start shooting your feature at the end of this year, you should be so deeply engrossed in pre-prod by now that you haven't got time for anything else. If this isn't the case, then it's virtually certain you are not visualising, pre-producing and planning adequately enough to avoid having to rely on pure luck during post and ending up with a "meh" film (at best)! If you have some technique, workflow or other idea for your film which you feel you need to test out and providing you've scheduled the time to still competently fulfil ALL the rest of pre-prod, then by all means make a test/short. Otherwise, I would refer you to the old filmmaking cliché: "Failure to plan is a plan for failure!" and point out that this cliché is many times more applicable to features than to a shorts!

G

I work on films by first time feature makers every so often but mostly the films I work on are by at least second time feature makers. Virtually without exception there are relatively serious flaws/errors, not so much with the technical basics, which have often been avoided with experience/knowledge gained from shorts and a previous feature or two, but due to issues with energy and pacing and often, workflows. Again, almost without exception, this is due to failures in pre-production. Failures caused by aiming pre-production mostly/entirely at the next phase, production, rather than aiming it at the finished film. In other words, pre-production planning aimed at ending up with a hard disk full of quality scenes/takes but with only relatively vague and sketchy ideas/visualisation of how that hard disk of scenes/takes is going to then become an engaging feature. For many relatively inexperienced long form directors, post-production is therefore effectively based mainly/entirely on improvisation. It's almost like two completely independent activities, the film is finished after shooting; big party, sigh of relief, lots of back slapping. Then it's time for an entirely new, virtually unrelated project/exercise; take a hard disk full of clips and try to turn it into an engaging film. It's only after the assembly edit or first rough cut that the relatively serious flaws/error become apparent, if indeed the director is even fully aware of them, due to not being able to see the wood for the trees. Scenes/takes which worked perfectly well on paper and which were executed "good enough" (or better) when shot, now don't really work so well in context/juxtaposition with all the other good enough (or better) scenes. The pacing is off, the tensions don't build effectively, the resolutions are therefore nondescript and/or there aren't enough tension/resolution cycles. The rest of the post-production process now becomes essentially an exercise in damage limitation and the end result is at best a "meh" film, although occasionally slightly better than just "meh", if the director is particularly lucky. We should all know however, that even though one can sometimes get away with relying on luck with a short, the amount of luck needed to "get away with it" for the entire duration of a feature is extremely unlikely!

Most commonly, the difference between "meh" and engaging is not directly related to budget size, it's either more on how the time/budget has been allocated or is not related to budget all and "meh" could have been avoided by appropriate scenes being shot with a different pace, with more (or fewer) changes of pace and with more thought to the pace of how all the scenes will juxtapose. Furthermore, not only is post-production commonly left to the luck of improvisation but the improvisers are often reduced to fighting with one arm tied behind their backs. Pre-prod planning/visualisation is commonly not only so inadequate that it reduces post-prod to improvisation but so poor that even the potential opportunities which allow for good improvisation have been overlooked/eliminated!

Additionally, workflows which are usually ignored because they add more time/cost than they save when making short form projects, can and will bite you in the a$$ when making a long form project. What may have cost relatively little to implement to start with, can easily grind post-prod to an almost complete standstill with a long form feature. At best, this results in a compromised film by limiting the time to come up with a good improvisation (if the footage even allows for the opportunity of good improvisation!) or at worst, results in the film not only being seriously compromised but taking months or years longer than intended, during which time everyone, not least the director, looses interest in the fine details which make all the difference and which therefore compromises the film even further, often to the point of it being hardly worth even finishing!

If you are aiming to start shooting your feature at the end of this year, you should be so deeply engrossed in pre-prod by now that you haven't got time for anything else. If this isn't the case, then it's virtually certain you are not visualising, pre-producing and planning adequately enough to avoid having to rely on pure luck during post and ending up with a "meh" film (at best)! If you have some technique, workflow or other idea for your film which you feel you need to test out and providing you've scheduled the time to still competently fulfil ALL the rest of pre-prod, then by all means make a test/short. Otherwise, I would refer you to the old filmmaking cliché: "Failure to plan is a plan for failure!" and point out that this cliché is many times more applicable to features than to a shorts!

G

This ia an awesome post with a lot of wisdom.

But I feel the bigger problem starts at the concept and screenplay stage. The big question is whether you have enough story for a feature. I read so many feature screenplays where I feel you could cut 40% to 50 % and you wouldn't affect the overall story. I'm sure many of the flawed films you mention probably would work better as shorts but once you've invested so much into the project, you have to come up with a feature.

Shorts could be great for you to play around with ideas for features and will still keep it at a low cost.Personally i tnink short stories are so clever and beautiful. THE skill to be able to have an impact on an audience in such short of time is incredible.

But I feel the bigger problem starts at the concept and screenplay stage. The big question is whether you have enough story for a feature. I read so many feature screenplays where I feel you could cut 40% to 50 % and you wouldn't affect the overall story.

That's certainly also a common problem in my experience but not, IMHO, necessarily the bigger or biggest problem. Ultimately, feature filmmaking is not really about the story but about the telling of the story. Therefore, although it maybe entirely possible to cut a significant percentage of the script without affecting the story, the important question is not how/if the cutting affects the story but how it affects the story telling! This is an incredibly important distinction to make because it brings us back to "shape", the pacing; the speed, frequency and size of tensions, resolutions and contrasts. All these are elements specific to the telling of the story rather than purely of the story itself. So while a particular scene or shot may be superfluous to the story, it may be essential to the story telling. For example, maybe this scene/shot creates a contrast or change of pace/intensity which is exactly what the film may need at that point to avoid monotony (poor story telling).

Having said this, in my experience, most indie features do contain far too much "fat". A fact which the directors themselves obviously realise, as demonstrated in the picture editing phase, where the final edit is invariably shorter than the first edit. Directors are often caught between a rock and a hard place at this stage; where the amount of fat trimming really necessary would reduce their film to below an acceptable duration for a feature. This is assuming that the director is even capable of that level of objectivity, which commonly they are not because they are too personally invested in certain scenes/shots.

One has to be careful not to create an absolute rule here though. While the average indie generally has too much "fat" and is too slow paced overall, that doesn't mean that just cutting more fat and increasing the pace of the whole film is the absolute answer. As far as filmmaking is concerned, the human brain needs to be thought of as a sort of pattern matching machine. Once a pattern has been identified/accepted, it's of no further interest until there is a change. No change for long enough is therefore monotonous/boring. This means that while the whole film may need more pace overall, individual parts of it may actually need to be slower, because it's the relative difference, the changes and contrast (between patterns) which provides interest and dramatic impact! Although it rarely affects lower budget indie dramas, the reverse situation is just as true: Relentless high octane action is also a "pattern", which although it may take a bit more time, will just as surely loose it's impact and become as monotonous as a slow paced low budget indie. That's why someone like Michael Bay, who may seem a million miles away from a thoughtful low budget drama, is worth studying and appreciating, even if you don't like his films.

The reason all this talk of shaping, patterns, pacing and contrast is not off-topic is because this is arguably the single most important difference between shorts and features! Shorts just aren't long enough to be overly concerned with monotonous patterns or avoiding them and therefore generally don't require detailed architectural planning of the structure of the pacing and changes in the pacing. Building a dog kennel, even a very artistic, impressive one, does not require much planning, probably little more than a quick sketch, you certainly don't need teams of architects, structural engineers and detailed blueprints and schematics but, building an office block does and ignoring this aspect of larger scale building and/or just trusting to luck, would be pure folly!

Personally i tnink short stories are so clever and beautiful. THE skill to be able to have an impact on an audience in such short of time is incredible.

It certainly takes skill to make a good short but personally, I don't think the amount of skill required is "incredible" or rather, it's not as incredible as that required to make a good feature. Making "an impact on an audience in such a short amount of time" is difficult but creating shape, structuring a number of impacts of varying size/intensity to maintain interest over a relatively long period of time is far more difficult. While a lot of the skill/s gained from making shorts is transferable, making feature length films requires a number of new/different skills. A good feature isn't just a long short or even a sequence of shorts, a fact rarely fully appreciated by many first-time feature makers switching from shorts.

G

So... I'm at a little impasse. My current situation is:

- Completing a feature doc
- Going to shoot a feature end of year
- Could also shoot a couple of shorts
- Will shoot a trailer for a documentary called 'The Billion Dollar Man.'

The bit I'm thinking about is the shorts. I have an 'OK' short which is cheap and potentially a great short which would need $3.5k USD (I could easily raise the money for this).

However, at this stage, I am unsure if shorts will genuinely add value. If anyone wants an appreciation of my skills, you can have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HALvW69uc

So what would you do? What are your thoughts? Would you continue to knock out a couple of shorts or would you simply drive on to the next step?

I never saw the point to a short. Can someone tell me?

Back