Deadpool, the movie.

I just saw Deadpool, which had a relatively low budget of $58 million - and the title character repeatedly referred to his movie not having the big bucks. The movie was very good, being a refreshing change from the increasingly stale superhero movies, and I'm going to get the comic - I'm also a comic-book fan.

Only by superhero standards. But, as has been proven time and time again, the higher the budget, the more likely your film is going to suck nasty male genitalia

In this relative level of talk, we're talking films, no?

Hell, if a billion is trivial, I want you to raise finance for my slate of films ;) A trivial amount should do for now. Seeing it's so trivial, might as well make it 2.

I just saw Deadpool, which had a relatively low budget of $58 million - and the title character repeatedly referred to his movie not having the big bucks. The movie was very good, being a refreshing change from the increasingly stale superhero movies, and I'm going to get the comic - I'm also a comic-book fan.

Deadpool has been running with various series since 97, so there's a lot to catch up on. He got a little over-saturated a few years back; he had 5 or 6 books at once, they did a month where he was on the cover of EVERY book (sort of an in-joke to the popularity of Woverine, where they'd put him on covers of comics he wasn't even in to sell more issues). I'll confess I haven't kept up, but the original run and Cable and Deadpool are pretty solid, start to finish.

Also, if you want to read Deadpool, the GLI Summer Fun Spectacular is one of my favorite books ever. The Great Lakes Avengers (Initiative in this issue, because it was during Civil War) are a joke team of barely competent to useless wanna be heroes...except Squirrel Girl, who can talk to squirrels, and is somehow one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. She defeats major villains. Casually. Offscreen. While running to the store to get milk. They clash with Deadpool during Civil War (very funny thing that I won't spoil for you) during the Cable & Deadpool run, she of course defeats him and he asks to join their team. So he moves in, and that's where this 1-shot issue comes from.

Squirrel Girl is my favorite Marvel character (the only subscription I currently have). She got her own book last year, which is wonderful and whimsical. Definitely check out some Deadpool books first, but I'd highly recommend SG to pretty much everyone (I think there's a trade of the first arc out now). I doubt they'll give her a movie, but a part of me wants the Avengers Infinity War to end with everyone gearing up for the big battle, heading to confront Thanos, and finding the she has already taken care of him. Cut to credits. The audience revolts (except the few people who get it).

Anyway, yeah, I read a lot of comics. And longtime Deadpool fan, the movie was everything I was hoping for.

You want to start with the "classic Deadpool" trade paperbacks. Volume 1 covers early appearances, and the first issue of his solo series, so I'd say get volume 2 as well. If you just want to binge, marvel has a mobile app, for $60 a year you have access to 17,000 comics. They do rotate the selection, so not sure how good their Deadpool picks are right now. Also, depending on how your public library is, you might be able to read some to see if you like it. My library has a huge comic/graphic novel selection, but I think it might be unusually good. Can't hurt to check though!

Back