Multiple Hot Shoe Mounts?

I have a Rode Stereo Videomic on my T2i currently, but I also want to buy an external monitor but then I'd have no where to put it. Is there any way that I can get a thing so I can put 2 (or more) pieces of equipment on my hot shoe?

Pardon my poor explanation, here's a picture of the thing I'm looking for. Again, pardon for my terrible drawing.

Does anything like this exist? If so, where can I pick one up?

2v1p6ap.jpg

I don't think that's possible, or even safe for the hotshoe, since different weights might cause that T you draw to be out of balance, and forcing the mount, maybe even breaking it.
You should look into rigs.
Plats attach to the bottom of you cam, where the tripod would go, and different rods and adaptors alow you to hook up a lot of stuff to your cam.

stand-300.jpg

Hot shoe extenders like that are available, but I agree with Jake that it would not be very good for your camera - as he says, it's not so much the weight but the strain put on the shoe by out of balance accessories. Mounting your monitor to a light weight rails system would be much sturdier and better for your camera.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you, having a heavy monitor on one side and a mic on the other is not smart at all. But he may end up using it for something else like a mic and a small LED light. Just helping out.

I think you are looking for a hot shoe extension. In which case, here is one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770017-REG/Rycote_37705_Hot_Shoe_Extension.html

Hot shoe extenders like that are available, but I agree with Jake that it would not be very good for your camera - as he says, it's not so much the weight but the strain put on the shoe by out of balance accessories. Mounting your monitor to a light weight rails system would be much sturdier and better for your camera.

That one will work. You have to bias the weight to the light side, moving the heavier object closer to center, so that the load is even on either side of the camera's hot shoe.

Thank you all for your help but I don't think it will cause that much strain considering that I'm only going to be using a DIY monitor here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLmtgphXf0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that wont do too much damage, will it? :/

Thank you again!

Ah, something that size you could probably get away with, but I'd still be careful (see my next point).

That one will work. You have to bias the weight to the light side, moving the heavier object closer to center, so that the load is even on either side of the camera's hot shoe.

That is true, but there is also a huge amount of leverage available compared to mounting directly to the hot shoe - it will be absolutely fine but if it gets knocked/lent on slightly you could potentially rip the hot shoe off the camera.

With regards to finding a rig for $2-300, I think the only one in that price range is the Cowboy Studios one. It's decent enough for the price but it might also be worth scouring eBay/Craigslist for bargains to see if you can snap up a second-hand rig for way under list price.

That is true, but there is also a huge amount of leverage available compared to mounting directly to the hot shoe - it will be absolutely fine but if it gets knocked/lent on slightly you could potentially rip the hot shoe off the camera.

I've seen exactly that happen... It's not a pretty sight.

I hadn't thought about that. I don't let anyone near my cameras when I'm shooting and I'm always super careful to avoid knocking things over.

Last edited:
hot shoe is a bit of a misnomer.. you don't really want a HOT SHOE, and none of the shoe mounts so far suggested are hot.. a true hot shoe will feed POWER to the mounted device though the electrical contacts in the HOT SHOE. Like a flash would need....

Your looking to mount stuff around your camera, your brain is stuck on shoe mount, but as others said, that is putting a LOT Of stress on a part of your camera thats not made for it.. bad plan in my opinion..

This is a GREAT DIY project. I recommend you make your own FIG RIG for just a few bucks.

Back