Do Directors need to be tough?

I am taking on my first feature as a Producer, Director, VFX Supervisor, etc. and I've ran into a few issues.

I was explaining a certain shot to an actress and she said I shouldn't do a shot the way I described. I told her it would be fine because I would make a lot of the cuts in editing. She said she's never worked in a project that made a shot like that and that it doesn't sound very smart. I didn't really think about what she said too much as I just thought she didn't know what she was talking about because she can't visualize the scene like I can.

However, I mentioned this to my executive producer and it upset him a lot more than me (strongly implied that maybe it's best to replace her), and it got me thinking: Do I give a vibe that someone feels like they can say something insulting like that to me even though I'm the director?

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this kind of behavior? Also wondering if anyone has advice on how to deal with this? I'm a nice guy and try to be laid back with everyone. I want everyone to have fun on this project and leave all the stress for me to deal with. Is this the wrong approach? Am I supposed to be more tough and assertive as a director? Any help is appreciated.

That's not the issue. And reading all the lines of a scene is common in a master shot. The actor can do it, or needs to be replaced. Not try to direct.

How much of the film have you shot? Can you afford to take the time or expense to shoot it with another actress? If time and money are not a factor, get another actress...keeping in mind that you will have to shoot EVERYTHING again. That is reality. If you are on a tight budget and cannot re-shoot with another actress, you have to explain, negotiate, and do whatever you need to do to finish the film. There is more than one way to shoot ANYTHING. The director is NOT always right. Solution: Tell her that you will do it HER way, then shoot it YOUR way...guess which technique ends up in the final cut.

If the actor is not comfortable doing it, then don't do it. Find another way. You don't want to compromise the acting capability because of what you want. That can ruin the scene. Work with the actor. Remember filmmaking is an army, and an army promotes teamwork. It's not all about you.

Good suggestion, Quality.

At this level directors need to be flexible. Pretty much everyone on
set is still learning. If an actor is uncomfortable doing it your way
it isn't insulting to say so. Learning to work with different actors
using different styles and with different experiences is important
for a director.

In this case it seems the actor didn't express herself in the way the
director would have liked. I understand that you (Onalos) prefer to
shoot scenes in a way that makes your work flow faster and smoother
but (as Quality mentioned) if that throws off the actor it might be
wise to adjust your style to accommodate her.

To the original question: directors do not have to be tough. Being laid
back works for many directors. Creating a fun, open work environment
can be a successful way to direct. What you should take away from this
experience is personality is as important as talent. No need to fire this
actor; work on making the relationship work.

I'd agree if that was the issue. But it was: "she said I shouldn't do a shot the way I described. I told her it would be fine because I would make a lot of the cuts in editing. She said she's never worked in a project that made a shot like that and that it doesn't sound very smart."

I've had people tell me things I should not do on set, but in my mind I know exactly what I am doing and have the outcome in my head. I can't sit there and explain the process to them, instead I just have to reassure them I know what I am doing and quickly move on.

@Indietalk:
to me it didn't sound like an on set event, but something during preproduction.
(Otherwise firing someone on set: it has quite some consequences for budget and planning.)

So, I tend to be with Quality and Directorik:
She thinks it is not smart: why?
Uncertainty? Not enough trust in the director?
The OP says 'she can't visualise like I do', part of the directors job is to communicate the vision and visualise the things that are needed to get everyone behind you.

So, if this is indeed not on set, what we actually see here is an actress fearing her acting won't be believable because of a method that is new to her.
Maybe all she wants is to be able to interact with who she's supposed to talk to. Per take it might take twice the time, but you might need less takes if she really has someone to react to. Besides that: editing dialogue is not just showing who is talking: you will want the 'listening/reacting' shots.
(For example in this short I directed: the sting of this line lies not just in the nasty implication of what is being said, but also in the reaction of the one spoken to: (go to the scene at 3:50 or watch it completely ;) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQVL0bWNFL0&feature=youtu.be&t=230

On the other hand maybe all she needs to hear is that she will pull it off. "Just say all your lines" is no great way to explain your approach. I'd call it: 'First we'll focus on your part of the dialogue'.

Don't let her fear transform into a new fear in you.
A director does not need to be tough, but confident in his/her vision and being able to visualise it for the cast and crew so they trust it will work.
And that is also about human relations, like Rik says.

Last edited:
Each director learns their own way of communicating with and working
with actors. Sometimes it might be best to just move on, shooting it the
way you know is best. Sometimes listening to an actor and making
changes to make them more comfortable is the wise move.

If the issue is the actor saying, “that doesn't sound very smart” I'm sure
that wasn't the most polite, sensitive way of expressing herself. If the
actor isn't understanding the process, I tend to put that on myself. That
means I am not communicating my method well. I am always open to
changing my directing style to make the process easier on the actor.
Personally I would never tell an actor that I know what I'm doing and
then move on. Personal choice. Different style. And yes, I have gotten
behind schedule because of it.

Of course we are only hearing one side of this exchange. Perhaps she
was totally in the wrong and the actor/director relationship cannot survive
and thus hurt the overall movie. Perhaps she was just expressing her
fears and concerns in a poor way and needs more communication and
support to give it her best.

I know I don't know...

Actually you are right. I was basing my experiences on crew members because I never had this issue with an actor but have with certain crew that are being paid well to do a job but they want to voice opinions about other things. When I think now of using that method on actors, no. You need to work with them on those issues. But crew members (other than DP) telling you you are doing something wrong, that you know is right, you dismiss politely and move on. That's me. It's like "I got this" and you need to stay in the zone, as, YOU know your vision. But working with actors is more personal. Damn you! You right again. I just had to mull it over. There are times to listen to crew too sure. But sometimes, not.

You said this is your first time directing. I would be more open to feedback, and in the case that it's not delivered as polite as possible,
the advice here is solid, just smile and move on.

At the same time, it's your film, and your vision. How good of a director you are will lie in your ability to receive criticism and suggestions, good and bad, from experienced cast and crew, inexperienced cast and crew,
without reservation, then be able to make judgements in comparison to your own ideas about whether something is good or bad.

If it's just one scene or small number of shots, why don't you film it your way and then film it her way, and see which is best?

If you had more experience and were a voice of authority, it would seem impertinent for her to be so outspoken against you; however, you said this is your first feature,
maybe she's acted in several and worked with experienced directors, and if I were her I might question you too.

If you approach everything with the mindset that you know what you are doing, when you may not, it will be hard to find success in my opinion. But it's really just a judgement call, and up to you.

Last edited:
Back