Community Project

My greatest regret, during my time on IndieTalk, has been my failure to get a community project off the ground. We came pretty close with the organ lottery project, but it never quite worked out. The past few days has seen a new member trying to get another community project off the ground, but is, I suspect, going to fall into a number of inevitable traps.

I am currently studying for the final exams of my academic career (*sob*) so am just sitting in libraries all day, every day. I'd like something to break it up a little bit (in addition to the couple of projects I am, slowly, working on). So I've come up with a new way to do a community project.

If you would like to participate in this project as a director (or in a shooting capacity), I need the following information out of you:

What actors are at your disposal? [i.e. two men and a woman]
What locations are at your disposal? [i.e. a house, a bar, an abandoned quarry]
Can you record decent quality sound? [i.e. yes]

Please be conservative with your responses. In order for this project to be realistic and work, I need to be sure that people can (and will) shoot their scenes in the allocated manner.

Once I have a bunch of participants, I will go away and write a short script that incorporates these various shooting units into a single coherent story. I will ensure that no member has more than a maximum of two days shooting (though generally will try and keep it to what can be done in a single day). If you cannot record decent quality sound, I will give you no dialogue to shoot. Everything will be kept as simple as possible (within the constraints of a very tricky project!) so that we have the maximum chance of success.

Additionally, if you are not willing to direct (or arrange the production of) a shooting unit, there are loads of other roles that are required:

Composer
Editor - individual units should edit their scenes but a central editor will put it all together and try and ensure that the editing matches throughout.
Post-sound
VFX - will not be VFX heavy, but we can incorporate some if there's someone who can supply the talent.
Marketing - with so many cooks, would be great to have someone responsible for pushing the film.

In order to make this attempt as successful as possible, I will only accept forum regulars into the scheme. New members (and I'm talking people who've only been around a few weeks) are welcome to input and help out, but it is of paramount importance that I know people will stick around and see their unit through to completion.

The deadline for signing up is 18th April 2014, giving people two weeks, after which we will allocate two months (and a bit) to complete production of your scenes, meaning a shooting deadline of 30th June 2014. As I have said, should be no more than a day of filming over the course of two months, so if you can't commit to that then please don't!

I really hope this works, and I think it can. Let me know if you have any thoughts and get signing up!

Current units:
David.rhsc (San Francisco, USA)
cheeseandachallenge (Wellington, New Zealand)
Cracker Funk (Richmond, USA)
wheatgrinder
Flicker Pictures (Boston, USA)
mad_hatter (Birmingham, England)
Dreadylocks (Omaha, USA)
Lucky Hardwood (New Orleans, USA)
ChimpPhobiaFilms (Ohio, USA)

Fence-sitting-maybe-merchants:
WalterB
Dreadylocks
sfoster
mad_hatter
ChimpPhobiaFilms
ItDonnedOnMe
jax_rox
Flicker Pictures

Music team
JoshL
mike mcguill

Sound team
mike mcguill

Sound maybes
AudioPostExpert
Alcove Audio

Marketing maybes
RayW

And remember to fill in this form if you want to have a shooting unit in the film!

(Of course, if you're local to an existing unit, why not team up?)

Last edited:
:P heheh That's ok Nick, I just thought I'd squeek a little louder in case you missed it. :)

It's probably a bit late in the project it anyway of course, but at the moment I'm out towards Cambridge, so anywhere between 40-90 mins away depending on where you are in the city (assuming roads/trains are actually moving that day :D)

If you've read any of my babble on here you'll probably know that I'm a relatively new videographer, crossing into it from various other fields. More than willing, but unlikely to be able to offer you anything useful/quality at this late stage of course. I can be a bit ninja with sound, photog, and graphics though if it's of any use. Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help in any of those areas, as I'm wrapping up a wedding folio now and have a bit of time to burn at the mo.

Give us a shout if I can be of assistance anyway. :)

Well, if we decide we need the intro, I should be able to shoot it :) Unsure about how punctual I'll be, as I still have full time work, and I've just got a job editing a web series on the side through December. But I'll only need one free day and a spare set of hands, so it should be manageable.

EDIT: Ohhh, but I just realised Laura has cut her hair short.... I suppose we could hide this with costuming/blocking, but less than ideal.

Well, if we decide we need the intro, I should be able to shoot it :) Unsure about how punctual I'll be, as I still have full time work, and I've just got a job editing a web series on the side through December. But I'll only need one free day and a spare set of hands, so it should be manageable.

EDIT: Ohhh, but I just realised Laura has cut her hair short.... I suppose we could hide this with costuming/blocking, but less than ideal.

Well, it was a bit cold inside the house, right?
A hoody or hat could hide it.
Or her hair is still in wrapped in a towel after showering.

So, if we go shoot, there are various solution for it :)

BTW, it looks like we won't make any festival deadlines in 2014...?

He told me yesterday: he had planned his trip to London already and found out there will be a 48HRS. He recognized your name from the community project (or Global Movie Xperience, as it is communicated to the outside world by me).

BTW,
the main character in the Dutch scene , Michael Wouters, is in LA at the moment...

Found new location this afternoon. Talked with tillimook country sheriff and they were very supportive. Said set up anywhere, just try not to completely block the road.. lol

got home and ran the 8k genny for about an hour, managed a 6k worth of lights sustained load for over 30 minutes before I shut it down. Not a lot, but enough...

Actor getting haircut to look like he did when we shot this summer.

of course its raining.. but should be breaks

vern scene is not shot. If someone whats to pick it up. GO FOR IT

Ok, who is willing and able to shoot the Vern scene?

I can't: forest are turning red, brown, golden already and I have a few heavy deadlines in the next few weeks.
After that trees will be leaveless.

I don't know when autumn hits the color of the leaves in Oregon?
Or any other state in the USA...

Anyone in Australia near Oregon like forests? It is spring, right?

1466291_10204404742790131_612120387316374842_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back