making a movie, only one lens, 50mm1.4...?

Hey, first time poster here!

I have a canon 60D with a Cannon 50mm 1.4 lens which is AMAZING, love the bokah effect, my question is can I...no should I...get at least another lens...and which one?

The 1.4 looks amazing but if someone walks even a foot forward or back they will become out of focus...any lens that can still give a good bokah effect but will give me a lot more leway with the actors staying in focus?

Thanks!!

please explain...

Sadly I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff (obviously)

Go to youtube and just start watching tutorials (or read articles)! Do this BEFORE you shoot anything. You might have a great lens and camera, if you don't know how to use them, then trust me, it will look like total CRAP!

Now to your original question... Personally, I like to cover 4 ranges in my lenses.

WIDE
MEDIUM
LONG
LONG-ER

With my kit lens, I already have the wide, medium and long (also with my 50mm) covered.
For my "LONG-ER" lens, I'm thinking about buying a Rokinon 85mm (not sure yet though. not being able to auto focus is a turn off) soon to cover that range.

For you, you need to at least cover the WIDE and the MEDIUM.
Here are some options.

WIDE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554036-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXN_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

MEDIUM: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=12119&Q=&is=USA&A=details

Or you can buy a zoom lens like the kit lens which will cover all those.

Best of luck to ya!

The 1.4 looks amazing but if someone walks even a foot forward or back they will become out of focus...any lens that can still give a good bokah effect but will give me a lot more leway with the actors staying in focus?

Unfortunately no - at least in the sense that you can't have both the same bokeh and the ability to keep your actors in focus when they move. You can reduce the aperture on your existing lens, which will increase the depth of field and give you more leeway in terms of keeping actors in focus, but by doing so you will also bring background elements into sharper focus and lose some of the background blur.

There is no lens that can magically do both, but through changes in composition you may be able to achieve both. Apparent DOF is affected by a combination of the focal length of the lens, the distance of the lens to the subject, the lens aperture, the focus distance, and the distance to the background. To achieve what you're looking for you'll need some combination of moving the subject farther from the lens (which may require a longer lens focal length to frame the subject as desired), reducing the aperture, and composing with a background that is farther away from the subject.

Using a depth of field calculator can help you figure out what's possible: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

So you may not be able to achieve it indoors because you just won't have enough distance between the camera, subject and background to do this. For instance, a 50mm lens at f/1.4 with the subject 10 feet away will give you just 3 inches of focus range in front and back of the subject. If your room is only 20ft wide there's just not enough space to change your composition. Dropping the aperture to f/8 will give you a foot or two of leeway on either side of the subject, but will also significantly reduce the bokeh effect of elements in the background because they aren't far off from the focus point.

Outdoors you should be able to do it though. With a 50mm lens at f/1.4 and the subject at 30 feet from the camera you'll get several feet of leeway on the focus. Now if your subject is standing in front of a wall it'll be in focus as well, so you won't get the bokeh you're looking for, but if you're background is far away - streetlights in the distance, for example - you will get it.

Of course the problem is you won't be able to get close ups that way, so you'll need to experiment to find the combo that works. Bring the camera back to 10 feet from the subject, drop the aperture to f/5.6 and compose with a distant background, and you'll get a combination that likely gives you good soft focus on the background while also providing a couple feet of leeway in terms of actors movement.

As you do this though you may also see the quality of the bokeh change depending on your lens. Some lenses have as many as nine blades in the aperture and will retain a smooth, circular shape to the bokeh throughout most of their aperture range. Others (generally less expensive lenses) will use as few as five blades and the bokeh will take on a geometric shape like a hexagon (actual shape depends on the number of blades).

Last edited:
Hey, first time poster here!

I have a canon 60D with a Cannon 50mm 1.4 lens which is AMAZING, love the bokah effect, my question is can I...no should I...get at least another lens...and which one?

Thanks!!

Just a little point.. How many films have you seen or know of that has actors moving backwards and forwards with a bokeh effect? I haven't, and if you plan to do this, then you'll need someone constantly changing the focus and it should be precisely rehearsed

In other words don't bother, you have a dslr, you know little about aperture, focus on getting good in focus shots and good cinematography before trying advanced stuff which by then you'll have more knowledge

I have been running with the same 3 lenses for two years now...
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.8
75-300mm 4-5.6

using the right lights has helped a lot in just having those three...and variable ND filter for the 50...

As much as we all have to applaud the democratization of film making with the DSLR revolution. People shooting films who literally know less than zero about photography/cinematography drives me a bit nuts. I suggest finding someone who knows at least the basics of photography to be your DP.

As much as we all have to applaud the democratization of film making with the DSLR revolution. People shooting films who literally know less than zero about photography/cinematography drives me a bit nuts. I suggest finding someone who knows at least the basics of photography to be your DP.

This is no knock an the OP, but I heartily agree with Gonzo. There is a lot of work (homework, trial & error, etc) to be accomplished in making films. Then there's tho whole business of how films are constructed, other elements of cinematography and so on. One of the best ways to learn is watching someone work who is at a much higher level than yourself and they're not easy to find in the sea of indie filmmaking. Seek a master and you shall become one. :)

Back