• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Proxy editing Alexa footage

There's an editing job that I'd like to pursue, but I obviously don't want to promise anything I can't deliver.

The feature is being shot on an Alexa. There's no chance in hell my computer could edit that footage without a proxy. A little googling and I've found that the Alexa is capable of creating proxy footage, with all the same metadata, while also delivering the RAW. That's pretty freaking rad!

This should work fine with Creative Cloud, no? Edit, with proxy, on regular CPU, then export from beast of a computer?

Anything tricky I'm not thinking of?

You mean they're shooting ARRIRAW?

If so, you can also record to the internal SxS, so you could have ProRes422 proxies go to you, the editor, and the raw files go straight to the colourist.

Realistically, you could transcode to lower-res proxies (as you would if shooting RED without an additional recorder) if you needed to.

If they're not shooting ARRIRAW, and simply shooting ProRes internally, then you'll have to transcode to proxies unless you can convince them to shoot to a seperate recorder as well.

I just got off a shoot where we shot ProRes 4444 LogC to the internal SxS cards, and also recorded ProRes422 proxies in REC709 on a Pix, so the editor will have REC709 proxies (rather than ugly LogC) to work with, at a data rate a tad more manageable than full 4444.

Thanks, Jax! I knew you'd be the person to respond. I might've just contacted you directly, except that it benefits the community to have this kind of technical info posted publicly.

I don't know if they're shooting ARRIRAW. I'll probably have to wait until they're in post to find out those details. Either way, you've helped me figure out which items I need to further research.

I don't know how far they are into production, but I would suggest that unless there's a heap of VFX to do on the film that ARRIRAW simply unnecessarily complicates things for post. Might be worth having a chat about, if they are still in the pre-pro stages and they're bringing you on for the consultation.

Also, have a chat with them about who will be doing the online. If they have someone lined up, then great - you can chat to them about what they need (likely an EDL, which saves you a huge render at the end).
You might run into trouble if they're also expecting you to do the online. Sounds like you're not really equipped for it, so that might be something to watch out for. Of course, depending on what the pay's like, you could request a certain amount upfront to use for computer upgrades so that you are able to complete the online, if that's in fact what they're looking for.

Back