• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you capture sound for a scene like this?

Newbie question here. Say I have a shot where the camera is dollying past an alley way and two people are having an argument quite aways down the alley and I want the argument to be audible in the shot.

If using the camera's on board recording how would you get mics and wires setup withouth them being visiable in the shot? Thanks for any help!

Yeah the shot is only gonna be a few secs with a cut to a close shot of the argument. Suppose I could do the close shot from the beggining of the argument and dub the audio over the wide shot?

You put lavs on them or plant (hide) a mic.

If the dolly shot is only one aspect of a continuing dialog, and the dialog from that shot is unusable, the sync can be pretty loose since the shot is at quite a distance (according to you). You can use dialog from the close-ups or two shots when you get to audio post.

Yeah the shot is only gonna be a few secs with a cut to a close shot of the argument. Suppose I could do the close shot from the beggining of the argument and dub the audio over the wide shot?
This is exactly what I do.

When I can't afford wireless I shoot the closer coverage
first, then I shoot the long shot. By that point the actors
have "rehearsed" the scene several times so the audio
from the closer shots can easily be placed over the long
shot.

Back