VIDEO To CARTOON Look - Need Feedback Please!

I was looking for information on the look utilized in the Robert Downey Jr and Keanu Reeves movie "A Scanner Darkly". I've been trying to create a look like this for a long time. Here's what I came up with. It's is a rotoscope aninmated B/W horror film I made utilizing the VIDEO to CARTOON look in AKVIS Sketch. This is my 1st attempt at creating a cartoon using video. It's not perfect. I used a lot of different computer software including Akvis, Photoshop and After Effects. I shot it on the Panasonic DVX100. Please let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZ4vGBjtIQ

Title: Toxic Betrayal
Genre: Horror/Comedy
Synopsis: A college students life takes a turn for the worst, after he wins 10 million dollars in the lottery.

I dont know what is rotoscope?
But if you hope your video look like a cartoon. its best for you to set up the fram speed at 8 or less to shoot.
its nothing to do with the sortware you listed.

I dont know what is rotoscope?
But if you hope your video look like a cartoon. its best for you to set up the fram speed at 8 or less to shoot.
its nothing to do with the sortware you listed.

They are asking about how to make a film look like a cartoon...I don't think the frame rate is relevant to the question. Scanner Darkly didn't change the frame-rate...it's a film, with a toon filter.

I think what you have going on now is very similar to A Scanner Darkly...keep tweaking settings. You have to think...who knows what other crazy things they did in post to Darkly. As far as initial filters, I think you're on to a good start.

sorry, I can't see the post picture. its an empty block.
Now that he used Photoshop and After Effects for processing. I think the picture must be looking lilke a cartoon figures, what he will do is only action perfermance like a cartoon. thats why I suggest descend frame speed.
if he dont be contented with the pic, he can use sorts of filter to approximate it. for example, Canny filter etc edge processing, dotn use Gauss filter. or from function of contract or histogram, then modify color ratio. etc. thats artist work. out of my depth.

Rotoscoped

ASD, just like Linklater's earlier film Waking Life, was rotoscoped by animators, by hand, frame by frame. Its a very labor intensive project. You can learn some more about it by watching ASD with the commentary on.

EDIT - It is actually not the commentary that explains it. There is a featurette on the DVD called "The Weight of the Line: Animation Tales," which describes the rotoscoped animation process.

Last edited:
ASD, just like Linklater's earlier film Waking Life, was rotoscoped by animators, by hand, frame by frame. Its a very labor intensive project. You can learn some more about it by watching ASD with the commentary on.

EDIT - It is actually not the commentary that explains it. There is a featurette on the DVD called "The Weight of the Line: Animation Tales," which describes the rotoscoped animation process.

Yep, he may be able to get something "similar", but will never look "as good" .

Or the other option...hand painted frame-by-frame. No filter will do what the animators can do...you can get something close, but not like true hand-painted efforts.

The original LOTR was done this way...amazing stuff.

Yeah, as previously stated, they did it all by hand, so unless you want to open each frame in MSPaint/print out each frame, draw over, scan, then assemble frame-by-frame in FCP or whatever, it's gonna be hard to get it looking like that particular style.

However, I watched a bit of the vid and it looks badass! I realize you've already shot the thing, but you should consider going all-out with the sketch feel, even before you get to post. Get them fattie rolls of butcher paper, scribble on a few sheets ceiling-high, and put em on the wall to give it the 'living sketch' feel. Take that white shirt, and hand-scribble it where it would have shadow. If you wanted to bust it hardcore, you could even have different shirts for different light setups, etc. Maybe make the props cardboard 2D cutouts, sketched by hand.

Basically, why not do it all before you shoot, instead of after? You could end up making your own, name-brand feel to it!

Good luck, and excellent work so far!

Back