designer wants to make movies

Hey all.

I've always wanted to make movies of my own. Seeing how todays technology can easily facilitate movie making, I finally decided to give direction/story telling a shot. So far, I've been doing a lot of reading on getting started, I have a fair idea on as to what goes into making a movie.

However, I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses...

Strengths
- Employed 12 years as a graphic designer, and experienced in using color, texture, mood for a professional presentation. I am confident I can add value to the "look and feel" of a film.
- Experience in conceptualizing, visualizing and planning projects
- Experience working within schedules and timelines.
- Experience storyboarding shots and visual narration
- I personally know a decent indie musicians who would be ready to offer soundtracks in exchange for a credit.

Weaknesses
- Being the quiet loner type I'm not good at networking or even being around people.
- I stutter badly, so I have no idea how I'm going to direct crew, IF I ever find them.
- Confidence issues / Insecurities / always conscious about the way I look
- Feel intimidated by confident, well spoken "actor" types, especially women
- Absolutely naive when it comes to business matters (contracts, money, negotiating etc.) I've been ripped off so many times.
- Very basic experience with camera, but I plan on buying an entry level DSLR just to practice and get better at it

---------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to do
I mainly want to tell stories.
I'd give actors freedom to improvise around the basic script. But I want main control over the way any project of mine has to "look", in terms of camera angles, lighting, colors. etc. I'm open to suggestions by a DP, but certain scenes and sequences crucial to story/character development have to be shot the way I have visualized it.

The way ahead
As far as money is concerned, I'm keeping it tight as I'm still testing the waters of indie filmmaking. Besides the camera I am not exactly ready to spend money on anything else, unless my work gets noticed.

I have decided to work on a couple of "actor-less" films... like say a music video shooting interesting objects and scenery. If nothing at all, it may help me learn to use the camera.

I'd hope to meet the right people, crew etc. (in real life) who I could work comfortably with with. If not, I'll still be left with a fun hobby.

So, what do the experienced members of this forum think?

Weaknesses
- Being the quiet loner type I'm not good at networking or even being around people.
Just do it.
You'll find out it's not scary.

Networking on a networking event is easy: everybody wants to talk with new people.
It's like going to a pub where strangers are interested AND your heart will not be broken :P

- I stutter badly, so I have no idea how I'm going to direct crew, IF I ever find them.
- Confidence issues / Insecurities / always conscious about the way I look
- Feel intimidated by confident, well spoken "actor" types, especially women
I sense a relation between these 3 lines.
Rest assured: as long as you don't look like a homeless person or (un)dress like pervert you'll be fine.
You are behind the camera.
Use your visual skills to 'compensate' for stuttering: I totally understand how it can affect how you feel about yourself, but you must know you have every right to be yourself.
That feeling of intimidation will go away by practising with simple projects or even just interviews.
Make it clear at the start that you do stutter.
Something like this:
"OK, people, listen!
As you may have noticed: I stutter.
If you haven't noticed before, you hear it now ;) (A little joke at the expense of yourself always helps to lighten things up and gain sympathy.)
This means I sometimes need some more time to talk than most of you do.
It doesn't mean I don't know what to say, some words are just a challenge for me.
(This tells them you are in charge, without sounding bossy.)
I hope you'll be patient with that.
And now: let's get to work and make something great!"
(This show leadership and is motivating the crew and cast.)

Being clear can really help: it helps them understand, it helps you to feel more confident.

- Absolutely naive when it comes to business matters (contracts, money, negotiating etc.) I've been ripped off so many times.
- Very basic experience with camera, but I plan on buying an entry level DSLR just to practice and get better at it

At first you need to gain experience, so IMO you don't need to deal with businesss matters right now.

Welcome!

If you get serious about filmmaking, you can always hire someone more vocal than yourself to be an assistant director (AD). Until then, put together some shorts, so you can get a feel for the process.

Back