Where do I start?

Not sure if I posted this before, but I'll post anyways.

A usual, I can't find the opportunity to actually begin. I have no actors/actresses (none of my friends are actors and actresses), no equipment (literally, no equipment, not even a stupid camcorder), no money for the equipment (too young to get a job), no place to film (too young to drive, and living in my little area, the stores are MILES away), you get the idea. I really don't know where to start.

Since I'm fairly young, a lot of times all the chances I do see are reserved for older people only (film school, working on a set, etc.).

I live in Arizona, and so far every other place that gives me a chance is out of state, or I'm too young to go to, or it costs an arm and a leg. Another problem is the fact that I just can't go out a lot, other then school.

I'm really confused. I've been thinking about this all year I came up with nothing, even though I tried.

Where do I find actors/actresses? Where do I go in order to film a place WITHOUT lots of a noise like the average household full of 9 people is? Any tips? Suggestions?

Wheels!

Thanks so much! When you look at the Rodriguez film and Tarantino film, it reminds you that everyone started off badly!

I also think that the first step to doing your first film is to look at a film, any film that isn't too involved, and be able to say: I bet I could figure out how to do that. Then figure out how to do that.

Everyone should take a look at these two films, it will give you hope!

-- spinner :cool:

One of our members - Filmmaker516 - is 15 years old. Here is a link to his SECOND movie

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=14374

Perhaps this will give you an idea of what can be done when you stop thinking about the limitations and start looking for the possibliities.

Thanks for the link and all, I was very interested into it :)
And I don't expect to be nearly on that level yet, considering that this may be the first or second time I even touched a camcorder in years...now I have to wait until it comes out of the repair shop again :grumpy:
Thanks for your help guys, I'm sorry for whining or asking. I'm just paranoid is all but I'm okay. Thanks for the links everybody!

Don't apologize for asking.. asking is how one learns, but now that you know the most important thing to do is get out there and make some movies... get to it! :D (as soon as the camera returns from the repair shop and all)

Yes, your first several will probably suck.. almost everyone's first several do. Heck, a lot of people continue to suck long after their first few films, but they are still actively pursuing something they enjoy, so that's the important thing. And if you don't just jump in and try it, you'll never have the skill or experience to get where you want to go anyway. Less procrastination, more action... take it from me, I speak from experience in this area.

I'm just paranoid is all but I'm okay.

Don't be paranoid!! :scared:

Remember that the first person--possibly the only person-- to see your first film is you. Your gut will tell you if it is good or bad. If it is bad, then figure out what you could have done to make it good. Then you take that knowledge and use it on your next film. Plus, once it is out of the shop, you'll have a camera. When you are starting out, that's pretty much all the equipment you need :yes: You don't need expensive equipment to figure out what you are doing. When you know what you are doing, then invest in the BIG camera.

Get going and have fun! And remember you can always come back here to ask questions. IndieTalk has saved me many times....:lol:

-- spinner :cool:

You don't need to buy equipment. If you search online, there are plenty of how-to tutorials on building gear out of cheap stuff you can find at Lowes. Just this Saturday, my dad and I build a steady cam for about $20. We also started work on a jib that we pretty much finished, although we scrapped it and are starting a newer, sturdier one. The final products that go into the jib will be about $100. The stuff isn't perfect, but it saves money over buying it.

Well there are many GURU guiding us. I am just a small kid here in terms of experience. I will like to share one thing which i have come to know from this great site. Thats is ask many many many questions regarding filmmaking. I mean technical and creative aspect. And till that time save money and start filming your movie by taking help of the surroundings no matter where ever you live.

Suppose if you are living in a COld desert of Entartica where you are the only one living with few family members of friends. Then try to make a movie with a story like a couple is stuck in that desert. If you live in jungle then show something like few kids are stuck in a Jungle and how they spend few days there........something...........

The main intention is make a list of places near you and try to write something keeping your surrounding in mind..

Camera is the biggest issue ..............even for me...well try to get a job........earn some money dont think of other equipments just a came with 3ccd or HD...i dont have idea but i think 3 ccd is less expensive.............make out a film even with a bad sound....dont think of the best stuff coming out in first attempt,.......................at the momment just try ro show creativity...........I dnt think it is hard......... the only main issue is a CAM...........and you will have to work for it.........

Even i am saving money for a CAM though i think it will take 18 months to even think that i am able to get a cam but till that time keep working to get something

LAST NOTE. As you said you are too young. Well My father was in his 18 when he had his own business company. In that company my father had not invested a single penny and that company had 7 investors and all of them were above 40. The only thing which brought those investors to my Father and the company was my fathers perfect homework and confidence that he can even handle the president of the country.

So never think you are young.......Just believe that you are the one with 100% homework and confidence

Last edited:
Take a pen and pad of paper around with you, no matter who you are, how much money or equiptment you have you can;t make a film without a script so you can always write or at least plan what you want to do. Write out what your planning in script format if you can and whenever you go out keep you eyes peeled for places that would make a good location for the scene you've been working on.

I've only just started writing and planning seriously and i'm 24, how much i wish i'd started even just writing stuff down at your age i'd have had a treasure box of idea's by now :P

Have to say that since i've started writing i'm seeing the world through film makers eyes now, i dont see people anymore i see charactors, dont see scenery its all possible locations. Something funny happens in school between 2 people, scribble it down it'll make a funny scene with some tweaking. Observe things goign on around you and by the time you've worked out your financial situation etc you'll have so many idea's to start looking to film.

Robert Rodriguez mentions on one of his dvd commentaries that he has an 'idea's file' which probably have years of material built up in it.

Back